Old 22-02-2007, 05:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default rototilling

anyone know someone who can rototill a 8 by 24 foot garden? near 2222 and
mopac

Old 22-02-2007, 08:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:36:50 -0600, biggus wrote:

anyone know someone who can rototill a 8 by 24 foot garden? near 2222 and
mopac

Unless you have mixed quite a bit of topsoil or compost into it, none of
the soil in that area rototills very well. We had to hand hoe until we
could get it loosened up and mix a bunch of loose material into it.

Are you on the clay, or on the rock? Do you have your own tiller, or
would you need someone to bring one?

Old 25-02-2007, 02:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

"God Bless Texas" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:36:50 -0600, biggus wrote:

anyone know someone who can rototill a 8 by 24 foot garden? near 2222
and
mopac

Unless you have mixed quite a bit of topsoil or compost into it, none of
the soil in that area rototills very well. We had to hand hoe until we
could get it loosened up and mix a bunch of loose material into it.

Are you on the clay, or on the rock? Do you have your own tiller, or
would you need someone to bring one?

put in a raised bed garden about 15 years ago, it was sort of topsoil, most
of the organic stuff is gone, but now has lots of tree roots in it, they got
trained over by water. I have no tiller, and the garden is 8 by 24 foot, not
all of it needs to be done.

Old 25-02-2007, 04:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

A small hand tiller may not be your best choice
considering the tree roots.

A small 3-point tractor with a tiller could work, but the space
is so small. This would be my 1st choice.

A day-laborer with an ax, etc. may be a MUCH better choice :-)

Gene

Old 26-02-2007, 01:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

"biggus" wrote in message ...

"God Bless Texas" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:36:50 -0600, biggus wrote:

anyone know someone who can rototill a 8 by 24 foot garden? near 2222
and
mopac

Unless you have mixed quite a bit of topsoil or compost into it, none of
the soil in that area rototills very well. We had to hand hoe until we
could get it loosened up and mix a bunch of loose material into it.

Are you on the clay, or on the rock? Do you have your own tiller, or
would you need someone to bring one?

put in a raised bed garden about 15 years ago, it was sort of topsoil,
most of the organic stuff is gone, but now has lots of tree roots in it,
they got trained over by water. I have no tiller, and the garden is 8 by
24 foot, not all of it needs to be done.

Need to build in some method of drainage, in any event.

If it were my project, would remove the perimeter soil restraints. Place
the soil in a pile adjacent. Cut out the roots as I dug. Possibly put the
raised garden in another location.

--
Noncompliant