Old 22-02-2003, 11:39 PM
animaux

Default Natives of Texas (URL)

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/default.htm

This website is fabool! I may have to take a ride out there.

Old 23-02-2003, 12:33 AM
J Kolenovsky

That is more than 30-45 minutes away.

animaux wrote: =

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/default.htm =

I may have to take a ride out there. =

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 23-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:39:36 GMT, animaux
wrote:
This website is fabool! I may have to take a ride out there.

The web site registration come through very nicely, also.
Winningham, Betty (BW5009)
natives of texas
6520 Medina Hwy
Kerrville, TX 78028
830-896-2169 (FAX) 830 2573322

A lot of her materials on the site go back to 1998 so she has been
around a while. A ride out there might be really good. But I am
going to go through all her latin binomials for plant names.

Rsuty
Old 23-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Terry Horton

wrote:

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/default.htm

This website is fabool! I may have to take a ride out there.

Stumbled onto this place by accident four years ago, and brought home
my first madrones (which I promptly killed :-).

TX16 winding south out of Kerrville is a wonderful drive... if you've
a sporty car, it's a blast. Lost Maples isn't too far away. The
spring-fed Medina and Frio rivers were not too long ago considered
clean enough to drink from (not sure about now). And fun little towns
like Bandera and scenic little Leakey (pronounced lake-ee, and where
my Grandma Wooley was born. :-) are nearby. This is Texas "dude ranch"
country, which seems hokey to me too, but says something about the
attractiveness of the area.
Old 23-02-2003, 03:49 PM
animaux

That's fine. We love to take Sunday drives. Sometimes we end up all the way at
the coast. I drive almost that far to go to The Natural Gardener!

Old 23-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:52:02 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Rsuty

That's a new type of cured Italian ham, BTW.

It's funny; when I called the National Wildlife Association regarding my
backyard wildlife habitat application, they guy asked that I don't send Latin
names! How odd.

No, that means he studied range management at an ag school prior to
about 1970. The ag management and horticulture business's abhorrence
of latin binomials was a major impediment to the incorporation of
native plants in landscaping. You can still go to nurseries selling
"Red Oaks". Ignorance dies a hard death.

Rusty Mase
Old 23-02-2003, 10:48 PM
animaux

wrote:

Rsuty

That's a new type of cured Italian ham, BTW.

It's funny; when I called the National Wildlife Association regarding my
backyard wildlife habitat application, they guy asked that I don't send Latin
names! How odd.

No, that means he studied range management at an ag school prior to
about 1970. The ag management and horticulture business's abhorrence
of latin binomials was a major impediment to the incorporation of
native plants in landscaping. You can still go to nurseries selling
"Red Oaks". Ignorance dies a hard death.

Rusty Mase

He sounded rather young, but I suppose "sounding" some way is not relevant. To
be honest, I don't even know many of the common names of most of my plants. To
me, it's such useless information.

Many times people are lazy and don't want to learn to pronounce or learn the
terms, but once you know the "jargon" of Latin terminology it makes much more
sense...you know, sinensis, texinensis, so on. Certain terms to classify maybe
leaf shape, or flower part or something outstanding on that plant. The great
part is, it's a Universal (with a capitol U) language of taxonomy which many
gardeners are finally learning.

Victoria
Old 25-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Terry Horton wrote:
clean enough to drink from (not sure about now). And fun little towns
like Bandera and scenic little Leakey (pronounced lake-ee, and where
my Grandma Wooley was born. :-) are nearby. This is Texas "dude ranch"

And don't forget Medina! You have to stop there and have a slice of apple
pie. Then buy a pie to bring home...
I love that part of the Hill country.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

the natives (orchids) are restless prem_s Gardening 4 02-09-2004 02:43 PM
the natives (orchids) are restless - NB... wendy7 Orchids 0 02-09-2004 02:43 PM
Natives of Texas (URL) animaux Texas 8 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
When To Plant Natives Harry Australia 9 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
When To Plant Natives Harry Australia 9 14-03-2003 12:44 PM