Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Aler

Default What is eating the leaves of my vegetable plants ??

Hello Austin gardeners,

We are trying to grow some vegetables and something seems to be eating the
leaves of the small tender plants. It appears as though someone has stripped
off the leaves from the plant. Do you know what insect could be doing the
damage? Can someone suggest an organic way to get rid of these culprits?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Aler

Old 26-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Amy

Not sure what the culprit is, but I had a similar issue with bugs eating my
pepper and tomato plants. Pyrethrin dust is safe (and organic -
plant-derived) and has been working well for me over the past couple of
weeks. I bought it from Howard Nursery.

. ..

Old 26-05-2003, 03:32 PM
animaux

Pyrethrum is a highly toxic pesticide. Because it is found in nature does not
mean it is safe. It's not AS bad as the synthetic organophosphate, but it is
not "safe."

If you are talking about tomato plants, you most likely have a tobacco horn
worm. Ironically, the tomato horn worm lives on and eats tobacco leaves, vice
versa the tobacco horn worm who eats tomato plant foliage. Both can easily be
controlled by hand picking or using a biological control called Bt-K. This is
sold as BioWorm or Dipel dust. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot or any
garden center will have it. Follow label directions.

Either way, it is important you identify the pest insect before using any type
of poison. I cannot stress enough that, because it is accepted by the organic
community, it is safe. Arsenic is found naturally in soil. That's poison.

Old 27-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Mark J

Lots of "poisons" found in nature that are not safe.

Some work well on keeping pests off your plants.
Just don't eat the pesticide.