Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 AM
mali

Default grape growing help

i am looking to start a grape vine in my backyard and need some help.
I am looking to purchase a healthy plant a couple of years old to
start. also does anyone have any advise on the best ways to grow
grapes here in austin? ive never grown one before and havent found a
lot of helpful websites.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Gary Brady

also does anyone have any advise on the best ways to grow
grapes here in austin? ive never grown one before and havent found a
lot of helpful websites.

There's a good book at the library titled "From Vines to Wines" by Jeff Cox
that's widely held as an excellent reference to backyard grape growing. I own
this book and its got a lot of information about type of vines, types of soils,
location to plant, etc, etc. Suggest you try it.

Right now, you probably won't find many grape vines in nurseries. They seem to
be sold out of the container grown plants right now and the bare root plant are
only available in January.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 18-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Mr. Chaos 007

It would be a bad time to plant them. I grow a fence line of grapes and it
has taken about 8 years to get them very productive. I am growing about 5
varieties.

I would NOT plant them now, wait till October thru February, well drained
spot. They do not need much watering at all once established.

Dave
Gardens of the Ancients'
272-9062
www.gardensoftheancients.com

om...

Old 18-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Mr. Chaos 007

"mali" wrote in message
om...
i am looking to start a grape vine in my backyard and need some help.
I am looking to purchase a healthy plant a couple of years old to
start. also does anyone have any advise on the best ways to grow
grapes here in austin? ive never grown one before and havent found a
lot of helpful websites.

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Need Help with grape vines Jim[_20_] Gardening 7 01-04-2009 12:02 AM
grape growing/Japanese beetles SugarChile Edible Gardening 2 27-04-2004 04:03 PM
grape growing Bob Edible Gardening 7 27-04-2004 05:03 AM
Re(2): grape growing Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 20-04-2004 10:02 AM