Old 15-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Steve Coyle

Default Question about a Burr Oak

In regards to this post:
Planted a 3-3/34 caliper Burr Oak in November of last year. The tree came
on strong in the spring and covered with leaves and looked really good.
About three weeks ago the leaves started to curl and get brown spots on them
and last week I lost about 20% of the foilage. The tree is actually putting
on some new growth and the acorns are huge so I do not think the tree is
dying. Is it common for a Burr Oak to do this mid- summer? This would be
the first time it has seen this heat. I water about twice a week depending
on the rain.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

-D

I've seen this often with Burr Oaks going through their first
summer. Check out the 'Where to buy a Large live oak' thread , if you
haven't already, to get the scoop on damage to root systems during
transplanting. There is not yet enough new feeder roots growing to
support the tree in the heat of the summer. You should see new leaf
growth forming as the tree reaches a balance between feeder roots and
the leaves they support.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 15-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Victor M. Martinez

RM wrote:
the first time it has seen this heat. I water about twice a week depending
on the rain.

Like the previous poster said, it's suffering from transplant shock. Give it
deep waterings every 4-5 days, not more often or you might kill it. Mulch it
heavily and perhaps use some root stimulator. I would avoid fertilizing
until spring.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv