Old 23-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Rusty Mase

Default Mosquito Spraying

The TV news mentioned those pesky mosquitos are now being sprayed
after a person in Austin came down with West Nile Virus. Does anyone
know what they are spraying and where?

Rusty Mase

Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

This is what I found:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/news/02/mosquito_fight.htm

Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Texensis

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
| The TV news mentioned those pesky mosquitos are now being sprayed
| after a person in Austin came down with West Nile Virus. Does
anyone
| know what they are spraying and where?
|
| Rusty Mase

Below is info learned the last time around. If a message is left
requesting it, a call will be returned. It's the combined
Austin-Travis County Health Dep't people (rodent/pest vector
control???). Last time, it was said that spraying would be done mostly
between 3 am and sunrise, and mostly outside the city limits, and not
within 200 feet of properties on a no-spray list.

What chemicals are used in spraying operations?

Biomist (permethrin) is manufactured by Clarke Mosquito Control
Products of
Roselle, Illinois.
Scourge (resmerthrin) is manufactured by Aventis Environmental Science
USA
of Montvale, New Jersey.
Both are of the chemical family of synergized synthetic pyrethroids.
These chemicals can only be applied by appropriately certified
technicians,
and the environmental conditions under which they may be used is
tightly
defined.

Permethrin effects on aquatic organisms: Aquatic ecosystems are
particularly
vulnerable to the impact of permethrin. A fragile balance exists
between the
quality and quantity of insects and other invertebrates that serve as
fish
food.

Effects on other organisms: Permethrin is extremely toxic to bees.
Severe
losses may be expected if bees are present at treatment time, or
within a
day thereafter. Permethrin is also toxic to wildlife. It should not be
applied, or allowed to drift, to crops or weeds in which active
foraging
takes place.

Resmethrin Effects on aquatic organisms: Resmethrin is very highly
toxic to
fish.

What is the "No Spray" list?

This is a list of residents who do not want mosquito spraying
operations
near their homes. No spraying will be done within 200 feet of the
property
of anyone on the "No Spray" list. To have your name included on the
list,
call 972-5600.

Old 24-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
This is what I found:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/news/02/mosquito_fight.htm

That note is dated from last year.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 24-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Hope Munro Smith

"Texensis" wrote in news:S0RTa.69542
:

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
| The TV news mentioned those pesky mosquitos are now being sprayed
| after a person in Austin came down with West Nile Virus. Does
anyone
| know what they are spraying and where?
|
| Rusty Mase

Below is info learned the last time around. If a message is left
requesting it, a call will be returned. It's the combined
Austin-Travis County Health Dep't people (rodent/pest vector
control???). Last time, it was said that spraying would be done mostly
between 3 am and sunrise, and mostly outside the city limits, and not
within 200 feet of properties on a no-spray list.

What chemicals are used in spraying operations?

Biomist (permethrin) is manufactured by Clarke Mosquito Control
Products of
Roselle, Illinois.
Scourge (resmerthrin) is manufactured by Aventis Environmental Science
USA
of Montvale, New Jersey.
Both are of the chemical family of synergized synthetic pyrethroids.
These chemicals can only be applied by appropriately certified
technicians,
and the environmental conditions under which they may be used is
tightly
defined.

Permethrin effects on aquatic organisms: Aquatic ecosystems are
particularly
vulnerable to the impact of permethrin. A fragile balance exists
between the
quality and quantity of insects and other invertebrates that serve as
fish
food.

Effects on other organisms: Permethrin is extremely toxic to bees.
Severe
losses may be expected if bees are present at treatment time, or
within a
day thereafter. Permethrin is also toxic to wildlife. It should not be
applied, or allowed to drift, to crops or weeds in which active
foraging
takes place.

Resmethrin Effects on aquatic organisms: Resmethrin is very highly
toxic to
fish.

What is the "No Spray" list?

This is a list of residents who do not want mosquito spraying
operations
near their homes. No spraying will be done within 200 feet of the
property
of anyone on the "No Spray" list. To have your name included on the
list,
call 972-5600.

Don't they spray after dark, when bees would be in their hives and most
people in their houses I think...

Old 26-07-2003, 01:02 AM
animaux

Thanks for the generous post, but I sure wish I didn't read this. After
swooning at the Natural Gardener yesterday, walking the Labyrinth, smelling the
plant perfumes, buying some things and bartering some Retama I potted up...then
this. What is wrong with people of planet earth? I mean, stay the F inside
when the mosquitoes are out. People die, people don't die. I certainly cannot
justify spraying synthetic pyrethroids, which have absolutely NOTHING to do with
nor do they have any similarity of the natural pyrethrin found in pyrethrum
flowers.

Sorry for the rant. It gets to me.

Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:43:45 GMT, animaux wrote:

People die, people don't die.

Yes, and no one has died yet of a mosquito bite this year in Austin,
right - West Nile or Equine Encephalitis? So why do they indicate
they are starting this. Actually I only saw a report on the TV and no
real evidence for the City doing this.

But the argument goes back to the elephant repellant joke.

Rusty Mase

Old 26-07-2003, 03:02 PM
animaux

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:16:02 -0500, Rusty Mase wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:43:45 GMT, animaux wrote:

People die, people don't die.

Yes, and no one has died yet of a mosquito bite this year in Austin,
right - West Nile or Equine Encephalitis? So why do they indicate
they are starting this. Actually I only saw a report on the TV and no
real evidence for the City doing this.

But the argument goes back to the elephant repellant joke.

Rusty Mase

Well, in the years on the Internet I find not everything is accurate simply
because it's on he Internet!