Old 17-07-2003, 01:31 AM

Default mosquito spraying and ponds

With the hysteria over West Nile virus, localities are spraying to kill
mosquitos. How does this spraying affect ponds, if at all?

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 17-07-2003, 01:33 AM
jammer

COVER THE POND if they spray in your area.

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Gregory Young

You need to check with your locals about what they are spraying with.
Many localities are spraying with Bacillus thurensis, which is harmless to
plants and animals, save of course mosquito larvae.
Happy ponding,
Greg

ganews.com...

Old 17-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

I just called my local Mosquito Control folks: they said that they use the
bacillus thurensis directly in water, but spray malathion from the trucks at
night that cruise the streets. She said the amount they use won't hurt the
fish, and I understand that *certain* amounts of malathion can be used in
the pond for various critter control. I also ususally keep several pounds of
activated charcoal in my waterfall setup as a "just in case" first line of
defense against toxins. In your opinion, is this sufficient?

Lee

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
You need to check with your locals about what they are spraying with.
Many localities are spraying with Bacillus thurensis, which is harmless to
plants and animals, save of course mosquito larvae.
Happy ponding,
Greg

ganews.com...

Old 17-07-2003, 07:02 PM

In ws.com, on 07/16/03
at 07:46 PM, said:

With the hysteria over West Nile virus, localities are spraying to kill
mosquitos. How does this spraying affect ponds, if at all?

Here's a reply to my own message - I had sent an email to the MD Dept. of
Agriculture re this issue. This is the part of the reply that answers the
question with regard to the sprays Maryland uses. The fish kill in my
pond refers to a couple of years ago, when one day I went down to the pond
and all the fish were dead or dying, and there was an oily slick on the
water - I thought mosquito spraying might have caused it:

begin quoted material

I talked to Michael Cantwell, MDA mosquito control entomologist who
supervises the program in Baltimore County, to determine if Kimberleigh
was in the program in the past. According to Mr. Cantwell, your community
has not been enrolled in the mosquito control program since the MDA took
over responsibility for mosquito control in Baltimore County several years
ago.I am sorry for the loss of the fish in your pond, but it does not
appear that MDA's mosquito control program was at fault for their death.

The insecticides used for mosquito control in Baltimore County include:
Vectobac and Vectolex bacterial insecticides for control of mosquito
larvae, methoprene, an insect juvenile hormone mimic also for larval
control and two adult mosquito control insecticides: permethrin and
sumithrin which are synthetic pyrethrins.

The bacterial products and methoprene are fairly specific against mosquito
larvae and the larvae of a few other aquatic flies.

Permethrin and sumithrin will kill other small flying insects, similar in
size to mosquitoes, but not larger flying insects or ground dwelling
insects such as crickets, beetles, etc. These products are nonresidual and
quickly breakdown to nontoxic products in the presence of sunlight, water
and microbial action.

end quoted material

Old 17-07-2003, 07:32 PM

it is the oil and other "carriers" in sprays used to make it stick that is a problem
in ponds. usually you can ask them to skip you. Ingrid

wrote:

With the hysteria over West Nile virus, localities are spraying to kill
mosquitos. How does this spraying affect ponds, if at all?

Alan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-07-2003, 07:32 PM

very toxic to fish.
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...thrin-ext.html

wrote:
two adult mosquito control insecticides: permethrin and
sumithrin which are synthetic pyrethrins.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 18-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Gregory Young

First off, the bacteria is actually Bacillus thuringiensis.. sorry about
that. I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have been
lucky) so my typing was sloppy.
Malathion is, as I believe Ingrid said, very toxic. It is a cholinergic
poison, not very dissimilar from what you would know as a "nerve agent".
It is toxic to all animal life, only the LD 50 (lethal dose) varies from one
species to another.
I would not rely on charcoal, as Malathion will be absorbed by your fish
most likely well in advance of making a pass into a filter system!
Best advice is to cover your pond with a plastic, nonpermeable tarp (the
common blue plastic one works fine) on the day they spray.
You are looking for a tarp that can cover the surface, to catch falling
droplets/aerosols, so just have a couple of feet overlapping you pond on all
sides and you will do fine.
I would float some tires, etc to keep the tarp off the water surface, esp.
if it's on during the day, to allow air exchange.
Be careful when you remove it, so that any droplets won't roll off into the
pond.
You could of course ask them to "skip" you, but I wouldn't chance that the
message you leave gets through to the individual doing the spraying, so play
it safe and cover your pond..
I don't understand why quite a few of the local health departments are still
using Malathion. The larvicides work great, and are safe. Malathion is of
course cheaper, so that may be a factor... Fortunately our county
commissioners have agreed with our recommendations to stick with larvicides,
(even though we have a significant amount of WNV isolated from dead crows in
our region).
Happy ponding,
Greg
--

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
[...]

ganews.com...

Old 18-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

Gregory Young wrote:
I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car
had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have been
lucky) so my typing was sloppy.

Happy ponding,
Greg

Hope you're well and the cars recovery will be quick.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

My pond - while at the front of the house (closest to the street) is behind
a 7' block privacy wall and screened in. Hopefully, that will keep the
droplets out. We're not on a schedule for spraying: when they come, they
come - no warning. Whereas I live in a subdivision, the area used to be
quite rural: up until about 3 years ago, it was a joke, a "- I'll think I'll
go sit on the porch, pluck my banjo and pick my tooth" kind of place GBG
Think "Deliverance". Then Tampa had to expand somewhere, and East and South
was already taken, so everyone started moving North. Mosquito Control will
catch up in 5 or 10 years, I guess.

[...]

ganews.com...

Old 18-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Nedra

I have lived in a county that is adjacent to St. Louis County
yet is light years away. The "Deliverance" take is perfect for
my county. I've lived here for almost 50 years and wouldn't
change a thing about it. We are surrounded by yuppie
"Villa" types. Four story houses that are 6 feet apart... LOL!
We have no controls at all .... None!
We were inundated by all the folk who came to shoot
fireworks! But you know, I would not trade where I live
for their highly regulated lives for the world!
Mosquito Control?
I'm surprised I even know how to spell it ;-)

Nedra

[...]

wrote in message
ganews.com...
With the hysteria over West Nile virus, localities are spraying to

kill
mosquitos. How does this spraying affect ponds, if at all?

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail.

****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 18-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Gregory Young

Thanks Bonnie:
I drive a Crown Victoria, which gives a lot of front end room for damage,
sparing the driver. No problems on my end.. thanks for asking.
Interesting also that the air bags didn't deploy. I think it was because
although it was a front impact the deer must have been airborne, and hit the
grill above the bumper, so the impact did not trigger the air bag sensor.
When those deploy you're talking $1500 a piece just to replace them (minus
the labor).
Metal can always be fixed, it's just the hassle factor..
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:
I was in a bit of a hurry, and upset.. a deer and my car
had an
encounter yesterday, (last one was back about 1984, so I guess I have

been
lucky) so my typing was sloppy.

Happy ponding,
Greg

Hope you're well and the cars recovery will be quick.

--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

Mosquito spraying Victor M. Martinez Texas 1 13-09-2003 02:32 PM
Mosquito spraying Victor M. Martinez Texas 9 11-09-2003 11:18 PM
Mosquito Spraying Rusty Mase Texas 7 26-07-2003 03:02 PM
mosquito spraying and ponds [email protected] Ponds 2 17-07-2003 01:30 AM
mosquito spraying and ponds [email protected] Ponds 0 17-07-2003 12:57 AM