Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
TLR

Default What's up with my tomatoes - cherry tomatoes?

Speaking of tomatoes - this is the first time I've grown cherry tomatoes
vines in Texas (Cedar Park), and wow, are they huge and unruly!

I put 2 of them into my raised herb bed based on my northern gardening
experiences -expecting rather subdued plants. Was I surprised when almost
over night, they practically took over the whole bed!

I didn't prune and they're looking a little weathered now with some kind of
leaf wilt and shading my herbs, but they're still putting out fruit - when I
remember to give them sufficient water.

I know it's possible to cut back bush tomatoes for a 2nd crop, but can I do
the same with a cherry tomato vine and are there any special tips?

Thanks!
TLR

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:01:12 GMT, wrote:

What is causing my tomatoes to split? They start splitting while green,

and it gets worse from starting to turn red, on.

You are not watering evenly. In other words, you are waiting too long to

water,
then when you do the fruits uptake the water and split because they didn't

have
a gradual growth with regular watering. It's actually quite common. Try
watering on a better schedule and water less frequently, but very deeply.
Sprinklers are useless if you have them heavily mulched. I use a watering

wand
which puts water through the deep mulch. The downside, you have to do it

by
hand. Sometimes it can take me several hours to water each garden on our
property. I only use the sprinklers for turf and trees where there is not

much
mulch.