Old 19-08-2003, 02:32 PM
jrhslick

Default fungus on crepes

I have a fungus on some of my Crepe Myrtles. I did last year and used a
product by Bayre that took care of it (a powder) that I cannot seem to find
this year. Any suggestions on another product?

thanks

jrhslick@cox-internetdotcom

Old 21-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Hombre

In article ,
"jrhslick" wrote:

I have a fungus on some of my Crepe Myrtles. I did last year and used a
product by Bayre that took care of it (a powder) that I cannot seem to find
this year. Any suggestions on another product?

thanks

jrhslick@cox-internetdotcom

I've heard that a part milk, part water solution works well. Anyone else?

Hombre
Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:37:00 GMT, Hombre opined:

I've heard that a part milk, part water solution works well. Anyone else?

Hombre

Yes, one part milk to 6 parts water is what I've used. It does work. The
lactic acid in the milk changes the pH of the leaf surface, making it
inhospitable to the powdery mildew, thus killing it. Powdered milk can be used,
and I've heard everything from fresh skim, to whole milk works as well.

Old 21-08-2003, 10:02 PM
animaux

Though neem oil is deemed appropriate for pesticidal use, it can also cause
death to beneficial insects. Another way to go for people who are thinking of
planting crape myrtles is the choice of powdery mildew resistant varieties.
There are many varieties not susceptible to mildew.

Neem does work for fungal problems, but milk is as effective on powdery mildew
and won't harm beneficial insects in the way.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:07:11 GMT, "JanTGH" opined:

Neem II, by Greenlight.

Old 22-08-2003, 04:42 PM
jrhslick

The fungus that is on my plants is the dark colored, not the white. Will
that make any diffrerence?

thx

Old 22-08-2003, 06:42 PM
dt

jrhslick wrote:

The fungus that is on my plants is the dark colored, not the white. Will
that make any diffrerence?

Means you'll need to use chocolate milk. ;-)

DT

Old 23-08-2003, 02:22 AM
animaux

Oh, you have sooty mold. That is caused by the honeydew from aphid
infestations. The mold thrives on the sugars (carbon) in the honeydew, which
is essentially the aphid poo. Feel around on some of the foliage. If you feel
something sticky, that's your problem. If you take care of the aphids, the
sooty mold will also go away.

Are your crape myrtles under a larger tree which may have an aphid infestation?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:35:12 -0500, "jrhslick"
opined:

The fungus that is on my plants is the dark colored, not the white. Will
that make any diffrerence?

thx

.. .

"jrhslick" wrote in message
I have a fungus on some of my Crepe Myrtles. I did last year and used a
product by Bayre that took care of it (a powder) that I cannot seem to
find
this year. Any suggestions on another product?

thanks

jrhslick@cox-internetdotcom

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
fungus in Sydney garden Richard Wright Australia 0 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
Rose Fungus question Campbe4 Roses 11 11-03-2003 10:33 PM
Oak root fungus? Susan Solomon Roses 1 20-02-2003 06:03 PM