Old 24-09-2003, 02:13 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Cheap trees (yeas and boos)

Actually, speaking as a Texas native plant advocate (and not a purist,
but definitely a Texas), this naturalized tree, which is indigenous to
Asia Minor, Syria and Palestine has some fairly decent qualities. Low
water requirements, hardy, pest-free, wide soil range adaptibility, good
shade and fall color. (the Aggies that were the instructors at the
semi-annual Southern Garden Landscape Design School this week mentioned
it has brilliant red color every 3 years in the Brazos Valley)

Chinese Pistache is used as the understock on which the commercial
pistachio nut( Pistacia vera ) is grafted. It is also reported to be the
tree that snagged Absalom by the hair. It is occasionally susceptible to
verticillium wilt and oak root fungus. =

JK

Sandy Beotches wrote:
=

J Kolenovsky wrote:
45 gallon Chinese Pistache (boo)
=

?
=

Not a Texas Pistache, but I thought these were still generally
considered on the (yea) end of things. We have one that I'm very fond=

of. Whyforso a (boo)?

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal