Old 02-10-2003, 07:32 AM
EL_FLOJO

Default AUSTIN WINS !!!! Wal-Mart Backs Down!!!

VICTORY!!!

AUSTIN MAYOR WILL WYNN ANNOUNCES THAT WAL-MART AND ENDEAVOR ARE WITHDRAWING
THEIR DEVELOPMENT PLANS FOR ! EDWARDS AQUIFER SITE AT MOPAC AND SLAUGHTER!!

Austin Mayor Will Wynn, Mayor Pro Tem Jackie Goodman and Council Member
Betty Dunkerley announced in a press release this afternoon that Wal-Mart
and Endeavor Real Estate have agreed to withdraw their plans to develop at
MoPac and Slaughter Lane in southwest Austin! Congratulations to the No
Aquifer Big Box coalition and all who supported the community effort to
oppose this development and protect the Edwards Aquifer!

Best,
Mark Nathan
www.saveaustin.com

Excerpts from the press release:

Austin, Texas, October 1 - Austin Mayor Will Wynn, along with Mayor Pro Tem
Jackie Goodman and Council Member Betty Dunkerley, announced today that
Wal-Mart Stores and Endeavor Real Estate Group have chosen to withdraw from
involvement in the development at MoPac and Slaughter Lane in southwest
Austin. Both companies said they were acting in response to the unique
nature of the site and its location within the! Barton Springs / Edwards
Aquifer recharge zone.

"I am very ple ased to join Mayor Pro Tem Jackie Goodman and Council Member
Betty Dunkerley in announcing today that Wal-Mart and Endeavor have agreed
to withdraw from the site at MoPac and Slaughter, over the Edwards Aquifer,"
said Wynn. "I think this decision by these two companies show that they have
been listening to the environmental concerns expressed by this community,
and I applaud their decision. Today, Wal-Mart and Endeavor Real Estate Group
have done the right thing for Austin."

Mayor Pro Tem Jackie Goodman and Council Member Betty Dunkerley also praised
the decision by Wal-Mart and Endeavor. "I am gratified that Wal-Mart and
Endeavor have chosen to act in the best interest of Austin by canceling
their plans to build within the Barton Springs / Edwards Aquifer recharge
zone," said Goodman. Added Dunkerley: "This is a very responsible decision.
I am pleased that Wal-Mart and Endeavor have both chosen to proceed in this
manner."

Wynn also said that while the decision! by Wal-Mart and Endeavor to withdraw
from this site is a positive development for the Edwards Aquifer, he noted
that it is "only a first step in the longer journey toward ensuring water
quality protection in southwest Austin." Said Wynn: "While we are all
pleased with this decision, now it is time for our community to work toward
a comprehensive, long-term plan for ensuring water quality protection where
major development entitlements may still exist over the Edwards Aquifer,
including on the MoPac and Slaughter site."

Wynn said that he would reach out to Austin's community of environmental
advocates and other concerned citizens to solicit ideas for ensuring the
protection of sensitive aquifer lands. Noting that Austin voters have
approved more than $75 million in funds to purchase environmentally
sensitive tracts over the Edwards Aquifer over the last five years, Wynn
said that he favored exploring the possibility of future bond proposals to
secure additional fund! s to continue purchasing and preserving land
critical to the protectio n of the Edwards Aquifer and Barton Springs.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Vioxel

"EL_FLOJO" wrote in message
VICTORY!!!

AUSTIN MAYOR WILL WYNN ANNOUNCES THAT WAL-MART AND ENDEAVOR ARE

WITHDRAWING
THEIR DEVELOPMENT PLANS FOR ! EDWARDS AQUIFER SITE AT MOPAC AND

SLAUGHTER!!

Superb. Now how do we get rid of the existing one(s)?

Some ideas:

Get people to use the parking lot semi-permanently, so that paying customers
can't park.

Organize shop-ins of enough folks to max out occupancy. No one buys
anything, and call the fire marshal if they try to pack in paying folks.

Get local business owners to target new job offers to underpaid Wal-Mart
employees.

Organize return-a-thons for huge volumes of inventory. Returns and restocks
are EXPENSIVE! So, if 200-300 people buy $X worth of stuff and return it,
say 3-4 times per week, profits will dip.

I know these are a bit more aggressive than your typical picket line, but
they also hit where it hurts... the cash drawer.

Any other ideas?

Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Dilbert

"Vioxel" wrote in message

"EL_FLOJO" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah- have the state take over everything. Only memebers of the Communists
Party may run a business. Anti- capitalists such as the DNC may own a
business but must accept regulation by the Socilaist party! That would
please Austin politicians who are the bedrock of Liberalism!

Old 02-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Vioxel

"Dilbert" wrote in message
om...

"Vioxel" wrote in message

"EL_FLOJO" wrote in message
[...]

I'm really not all that liberal. Not in the currently accepted sense of the
term, anyway. I just think that Wal Mart is bad for local economy, local
environment, local wages, and local businesses. Also, I resent sterile,
robotic consumer experiences becoming the norm.

I don't want the state taking over anything, and I want them out of lots
that they currently believe they should regulate. I do believe that
community action is a good means of dealing with community problems. And
yes, I see Wal Mart as a problem. If the state tried to interfere on either
side's behalf, I'd be against it.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Clyde

"Vioxel" wrote in message

Superb. Now how do we get rid of the existing one(s)?

Don't shop there! They will go out of business if nobody shops for
lower prices. Stand up for your rights -- Demand higher priced Mom &
Pop stores. Demand more Wag A Bag outlets run by Mom Aguilar and Pop
Achmud!

Old 03-10-2003, 12:12 AM
EL_FLOJO

Racist Prick -- "Clyde" clyde@rest wrote in message
Demand more Wag A Bag outlets run by Mom Aguilar and Pop
Achmud!

Moron Clyde,
People will pay more if it helps their friends and family Stay in Business,
rather than shop at anti-American, sweat shot loving big-box retailers like
wal-mart, who **** down the neck of their employees and tells em its
raining.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Coty Melvin

"Vioxel" wrote in message

Superb. Now how do we get rid of the existing one(s)?

Supply and Demand.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:27 AM
Coty Melvin