GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/45652-where-find-white-canadian-peat-moss.html)

animaux 21-10-2003 04:23 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On 20 Oct 2003 19:20:13 -0700, (big D) opined:

Victor Martinez wrote in message ...
animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&f=3996060812

Here is a link for more information regarding lights and other
equipment.

Yes, certain plants do need more light than others, but using the
"fair amount" means absolutely nothing. A person's tank depends on
light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out) Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry
Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

Thanks for the link. I didn't expect Victor to give me foot candle levels! :)
I understood what he meant and I also knew he wasn't being specific. I'll go do
some research.

Thanks,
Victoria

Victor Martinez 21-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
Here is a link for more information regarding lights and other
equipment.

Here's another link, from the official FAQ of the aquaria newsgroups:
http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html

Yes, certain plants do need more light than others, but using the
"fair amount" means absolutely nothing. A person's tank depends on

What I meant to say is that if she has the standard bulbs they sold her
with her tank it will be extremely difficult to grow most plants,
including the vals she expressed interest in. Perhaps I should've worded
it differently.

light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out)

You missed one of the most important factors: substrate.

Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry

The lenght of the bulbs is irrelevant. Wattage is what would tell you if
you have enough light. Also, bigger tanks require less light than
smaller tanks to grow the same plants. In my 110 heavily planted tank I
had 110 watts of light for a year and most things grew like weeds. I've
just upgraded to 260 watts so I can grow plants that require more light.

Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

This is not an aquaria newsgroup, I was just giving simple, basic advise.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

big D 22-10-2003 02:22 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out)

You missed one of the most important factors: substrate.

The same person that spends $100 on substrate can be bested by the
person that spends only $10. Look at some people's natural tanks that
don't use flourite. Choice of substrate can depend on many variables
- and the primary is what you can afford. I didn't miss substate - to
me that is a given, how else are you going to "plant" life in your
tank.

The african tank had coral with laterite around the roots. Both
anubias and val grew great with the 2-36" FLs (maybe 30 or 40 Watts
each) I also used cheap aquaglow bulbs in the setup.

Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry

The lenght of the bulbs is irrelevant. Wattage is what would tell you if
you have enough light. Also, bigger tanks require less light than
smaller tanks to grow the same plants. In my 110 heavily planted tank I
had 110 watts of light for a year and most things grew like weeds. I've
just upgraded to 260 watts so I can grow plants that require more light.

Actually length was relevant in my comments - since I could not
remember the wattage of the basic 36" lights that come with a 125
gallon tank. Also try lighting a 4 ft tank with a 2 ft light. I
don't care what the wattage is, the plants on the edges of the light
will not do as well. I have tried this in my 120 with a 250W halide.
The center looked great but not the edges of the tank. Therefore
length is not totally irrelevant.

Here is an opinion (because I have seen this disputed), lighting is
not jsut about watts but kevin rating, age, and lumens. I bet there
are other variables, but I only worry about age and kevin. I always
recommend to people to choose plants that may be able to work with
your current setup before investing in other lights.

Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

This is not an aquaria newsgroup, I was just giving simple, basic advise.

That is the point of the links that both of us provided.

BTW, hope to see you at AGA in Dallas this year. There is more
information to be had at the convention.

Later

big D

Victor Martinez 22-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
The same person that spends $100 on substrate can be bested by the
person that spends only $10. Look at some people's natural tanks that

While that is true (my 110 gallon tank started with regular gravel,
because I didn't know better at the time, plants still grow like weeds
there), two tanks with identical conditions but one with a fluorite
substrate and one with gravel substrate will probably have very
different growt and plant health.

The center looked great but not the edges of the tank. Therefore
length is not totally irrelevant.

Lenght is irrelevant in the sense that it does not tell you how much
light you're getting out of them. You can get 24" CF lamps with 65 and
95 Watts... clearly not the same.

Here is an opinion (because I have seen this disputed), lighting is
not jsut about watts but kevin rating, age, and lumens. I bet there

The kelvin rating is indeed a factor, but for freshwater planted tanks
the generally accepted recommendation is 6500K. I don't know enough
about sal****er tanks to comment, but they have other needs depending on
the type of critters you keep. All lights degrade with time, CF bulbs
should be changed every 14-16 months or so. I believe regular
fluorescent bulbs degrade faster.

are other variables, but I only worry about age and kevin. I always
recommend to people to choose plants that may be able to work with
your current setup before investing in other lights.

That's how I started, but in hindsight, it would have been better to
spend a little more and get better lights at the beginning.

BTW, hope to see you at AGA in Dallas this year. There is more
information to be had at the convention.

I generally try to avoid going to Big D as much as possible, but they do
have that new museum I'm interested in visiting. We'll see... :)

Cheers.

Victor

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

big D 23-10-2003 04:22 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Lenght is irrelevant in the sense that it does not tell you how much
light you're getting out of them. You can get 24" CF lamps with 65 and
95 Watts... clearly not the same.

I don't think you understand. I said the length because I was
refering to standard lights that come with 6ft - 125 gallon tanks.
You have completely taken my original thought out of context. I have
never seen a standard 125 sold with CF only FLs which usually measure
as 2-36" FLs. That was my only point.

I generally try to avoid going to Big D as much as possible, but they do
have that new museum I'm interested in visiting. We'll see... :)

When do we get to see your tank(s)? I have seen you post before, but
I don't think I have ever seen pictures. Let me know if you post
some. Or just go post at aquabotanic.

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here. www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

Peace

ddaquaria

Victor Martinez 23-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
When do we get to see your tank(s)? I have seen you post before, but
I don't think I have ever seen pictures. Let me know if you post

I haven't taken pictures in a while... I should. Here's an old one, from
about 6 months ago or so:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/tank1.jpg

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here. www.petsforum.com/cas

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

animaux 23-10-2003 02:44 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On 22 Oct 2003 20:16:58 -0700, (big D) opined:

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here.
www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

Peace

ddaquaria

Wow, that many be something my husband would be interested in. We virtually know
nothing about things, outside what we've read and experimented with. Last
winter I didn't want to leave the comets out in the cold pond. BIG mistake. We
had a 30 gallon tank with 4, 6 inch comets, two cory cats, two suckers. Almost
daily I had to check the water for ammonia and nitrites. I carried them through
the winter in that tank. After they returned to the pond in the spring, we
cleaned up the tank and started collecting some small fish. When I saw my
husband got such great pleasure out of it, I insisted he buy a beautiful 150
gallon aquarium.

So, this is off topic, but I was wondering about the shrimp I saw on one of the
photos...will my other fish eat the shrimp? We like the ghost shrimp, but I'd
die if they became food for the others. We only have small, schooling community
fish. Black neons, lemon tetras, blood fin tetras, cory cats, suckers, striped
dano's (unfrilled) and that's it. We have nowhere near the amount of fish we
could have in the tank.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

Victoria

animaux 23-10-2003 02:44 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:45:00 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

I haven't taken pictures in a while... I should. Here's an old one, from
about 6 months ago or so:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/tank1.jpg

What is the plant in the lower left corner?

Stan Moore 23-10-2003 11:02 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Try one of these sites

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=818

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=810

"ddaquaria" wrote in message
I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see

any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking

for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives

of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D
--
Remove the word ³REMOVE² to reply to me.

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

http://www.usenet.com

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:42 AM

animaux wrote:
What is the plant in the lower left corner?

A generic sword. It's twice the size now...!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:42 AM

animaux wrote:
So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

Depends on the fish and the shrimp. I keep 3 different types of shrimp
and I also feed ghost shrimp, which are sold as food anyway. :)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , animaux at
wrote on 10/23/03 8:35 AM:

On 22 Oct 2003 20:16:58 -0700,
(big D) opined:

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here.
www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

cleaned up the tank and started collecting some small fish. When I saw my
husband got such great pleasure out of it, I insisted he buy a beautiful 150
gallon aquarium.

That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).
http://petsforum.com/cas/Gallery.html
Select the picture for a larger view. I plan to post more members' tanks
this weekend.
I'm ddaquaria.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

They can be. When you have shrimp in a tank, they need cover otherwise they
get eaten. They can even be eaten with a lot of cover. I put 20 ghost
shrimp in my angel tank last Friday, and the only 4 I have seen had jumped
out. Otherwise I think the others have been devoured.

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

big D

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , Stan Moore at wrote
on 10/23/03 4:45 PM:

Try one of these sites

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=818

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=810

Thank you. The second one is what I basically bought, except I got a bale
of it.

big D

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:42 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

It's twice the size now...!

Which means we should see an updated shot soon...
Or we will wait till he joins CAS so we can post it on the Members' Gallery
(smile)

big D

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:02 PM

ddaquaria wrote:
That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).

Cool! I'm finally getting some vals from LeighMo
(rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants). The problem with my tank is that it
doesn't really have a background, since it sits in the middle of a room.
Are some of your angels those peruvian scalare Aquatek had for sale a
while ago? I bought some of those when they were quarter size and now
they are enormous!

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

I have three of those and they spend all of their time in the giant
sword near the recirculating Eheim ball I have there. I also have a
bunch of Caridina japonica, which have been in the tank for almost a
year now. The females are always gravid, but I've never seen a baby make
it. My cherry shrimp live in the small tank, which doubles as my
quarantine tank (I know, I know... I'm not allowed more tanks though).
Right now it's inhabited by 3 Botia striata, a few pigmy cory cats, 6
new Melanotaenia praecox, the 3 cherry shrimp, 2 large snails (Pomacea
bridgesii), and thousands of MTS. :)
I wouldn't risk the cherry shrimp in the big tank, they're too small and
the angels are too big...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he