Old 20-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Mark T. Evert

Default Hill Country Guidance

I'm new to Austin....live in Lago Vista on a steep hillside. My yard is
mostly in a natural state and I want to keep it that way for the most part.
I'm interested in a guide to Hill Country plants and vegetation. Any
suggestions?

Old 20-01-2004, 06:13 PM
J Kolenovsky

Mark, there are some excellent sources in the Hill Country. I don't know
them all. You will probably get a lot of responses.

A few that I know about:

http://www.nps.gov/plants/color/txhill/com.htm - excellent line drawing
art of each specimen with both common name and botanical name. All
inclusive.

http://lonestar.texas.net/~jleblanc/...lant_list.html - huge site

http://www.hillcountrymasternaturali...ts.htm#Flowers

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Research Center is in Austin.
http://www.wildflower.org/ - main index page
http://www.wildflower2.org/index.html - native plant information network
(database and images and free admission in January. You lucky person)

Native Plant Society of Texas - http://www.npsot.org. Headquartered in
Georgetown. Has a chapter there and one in Austin

Between the Master Naturalists and the Native Plant Society, you should
be able to accurately delineate a transect of your habitat, see what you
have and learn what to add.

You'll derive great satisfaction from this persuit.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

"Mark T. Evert" wrote:
=

I'm new to Austin....live in Lago Vista on a steep hillside. My yard =

is
mostly in a natural state and I want to keep it that way for the most p=

art.
I'm interested in a guide to Hill Country plants and vegetation. Any
suggestions?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 20-01-2004, 06:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

http://artemis.austincollege.edu/aca...lantbooks.html
http://www.heartotexasnews.com/guide...p?story_no=3D3
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve...t/hillcountry/
http://www.utexas.edu/research/bfl/eec/getting.html
http://www.texasoutside.com/austinparks.htm
http://www.texashiking.com/Hiking/Hi...sp?HikeID=3D18

=

Old 25-01-2004, 03:35 PM
B-0b1

"Mark T. Evert" wrote:

I'm new to Austin....live in Lago Vista on a steep hillside. My yard is
mostly in a natural state and I want to keep it that way for the most part.
I'm interested in a guide to Hill Country plants and vegetation. Any
suggestions?

Lantana is wild and beautiful..B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 25-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Kathleen

My latest find is rosemary. It smells good, the deer won't touch it
and seems to last year round.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace,
because you know what you are.

: I'm new to Austin....live in Lago Vista on a steep hillside. My
yard is
: mostly in a natural state and I want to keep it that way for the
most part.
: I'm interested in a guide to Hill Country plants and vegetation.
Any
: suggestions?
:
:

Old 26-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Michelle

Just out of curiosity why do you want our SPAM/ You can have ir
really but why and can you take it forever believe me your welcome to
it can you take POP UP ADS too?
He HE :- )
Michelle Carolus

Old 27-01-2004, 04:03 AM
jabee

There is a website specific to Lago Vista and the Hill Country and
DEER. Go to www.HillCountryGardens.info. You'll find tips, a deer
resistant plant list and interactive plant database.

Happy gardening!