Old 12-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Katra

Default Cutter ants!! Help!!!!!

In article ,
Rusty Mase wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:08:54 -0600, Katra
wrote:

I'm all for organic, and don't care if my rather huge colony of Med.
geckos that breed in and crap all over my attic stay there, (they
control the vast majority of both household and yard bugs), but there is
a time and place for pesticides.

My colony of these buggers disappeared after I found my Daisy Red
Rider bb gun. I even got more extreme, but lets not go into that.

Rusty Mase

You _murdered_ all your geckos???

Whatever for????? :-o

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 12-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Katra

Ah, honey, Sevin dust is hardly organic,
but it does bio-degrade rather quickly...

K.

In article , B-0b1
wrote:

Hey..stay organic as 10/15% sevin dust in solution ( available at Lowes)
could just as easily
be dribbled down their nesting mound?? It is very effective in any
environment!
Momma Nature will LUV-YA for it! B-0b1

Rusty Mase wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:59:20 GMT, Cowboy Bob
wrote:

You think so. So did I.

OK, I have not had that sort of experience so I have not had the
opportunity to be see their downside. They were common out at Zilker
Park but they seen to be disappearing there - just like the ground
squirrels that used to be very common out there.

Rusty Mase

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:16:15 -0600, Katra
wrote:

You _murdered_ all your geckos???

Whatever for????? :-o

I grew very weary of them for (1) eating all my beneficial insects (2)
leaving their feces, empty egg cases and shed skins in all my storage
areas (3) they are not native (4) they are beady-eyed ugly things (5)
they are not protected in any fashion.

And finally, they were imported into my neighborhood about 20 years
ago by one of my neighbors who thought it might be great to have them
around. By experience I found that not to be the case.

Rusty Mase

Old 12-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Katra

wrote:

You _murdered_ all your geckos???

Whatever for????? :-o

I grew very weary of them for (1) eating all my beneficial insects (2)
leaving their feces, empty egg cases and shed skins in all my storage
areas (3) they are not native (4) they are beady-eyed ugly things (5)
they are not protected in any fashion.

And finally, they were imported into my neighborhood about 20 years
ago by one of my neighbors who thought it might be great to have them
around. By experience I found that not to be the case.

Rusty Mase

So now what are you using for insect control?

And for the record, I think geckos are cute.

This being Texas, we had a bad Palmetto bug problem.
I still have a few but not _nearly_ so many since the Geckos took over,
and I still have praying mantises and assasin bugs, as well as plenty of
ladybugs. I don't mind a few egg cases. :-) They mostly breed in the
attic which is dead space that I don't use. There were a few in the
storage area, but that has not been a major problem.

The grasshopper population has also been drastically reduced.

So, do you have any bug problems now that you killed them all?

I've been happy too to see the fence lizard and anole populations
increase, as well as toads. :-)

Predator insects are great, but reptile and amphibians eat a lot more!

And it's not affecting my pollinators in the least since geckos are
nocturnal and most pollinators are diurnal.

Just my personal feelings......

K.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:30:30 -0600, Katra
wrote:

So now what are you using for insect control?

I don't and I have never found it to be a problem. I have lots of
spiders - especially jumping spiders - and they may be helping. I do
use Amdro on fire ants on occassion. Also, I use an aerosol can of
garden spray to control capenter ants where I do not want them.

And for the record, I think geckos are cute.

And for the record, I think they are vermin.

This being Texas, we had a bad Palmetto bug problem.
I still have a few but not _nearly_ so many since the Geckos took over,
and I still have praying mantises and assasin bugs, as well as plenty of
ladybugs. I don't mind a few egg cases. :-) They mostly breed in the
attic which is dead space that I don't use. There were a few in the
storage area, but that has not been a major problem.

I ignore Palmetto bugs mostly but take a garden hose to them
occassionally.

The grasshopper population has also been drastically reduced.

No, they are around but I ignore them

So, do you have any bug problems now that you killed them all?

No and I get lots of bugs outside that I ignore. I do not get many in
the house except for spiders, which I like, and only a few of them.

I've been happy too to see the fence lizard and anole populations
increase, as well as toads. :-)

Yes, but I have trouble with keeping up my toads as I am pretty high
and dry. I sometimes have a few that I love to feed Junebugs to on
the porch. They become pets.

Predator insects are great, but reptile and amphibians eat a lot more!

I have snakes. Ground snakes mostly and one snake I have an abundance
of is Texas Blind Snakes. I let them live in my flower beds around
the house. Garter snakes, yellow bellied racers and Texas rat snakes
are infrequent visitors to my yard.

Rusty Mase