Old 18-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Doug Lassiter

Default dillo dirt top-dressing -- when?

Dillo dirt on established, healthy but not immaculate St. Augustine,
Central Austin. When this spring should I do it? Seems a little early
now, but I'd like to get it spread before I expect lots of growth.
What dressing thickness should I budget for? I want to do it well,
but not bury the lawn. Also, I had the misfortune (long ago) of
getting several yards of the stuff that was full of big chunks of
wood. Fine for beds, but not for the lawn. So recommendations on good
quality/price including delivery would be appreciated.
Old 18-02-2004, 07:21 PM
escapee

On 18 Feb 2004 08:22:03 -0800, (Doug Lassiter) opined:

Dillo dirt on established, healthy but not immaculate St. Augustine,
Central Austin. When this spring should I do it? Seems a little early
now, but I'd like to get it spread before I expect lots of growth.
What dressing thickness should I budget for? I want to do it well,
but not bury the lawn. Also, I had the misfortune (long ago) of
getting several yards of the stuff that was full of big chunks of
wood. Fine for beds, but not for the lawn. So recommendations on good
quality/price including delivery would be appreciated.

Okay, two things: I don't use sludge products, which is what Dillo Dirt is. It
is processed human waste and can, and usually does contain unacceptable levels
of arsenic and other heavy metals. So, if you really want to do your lawn
justice, buy a gallon of Medina Soil Activator Plus (the plus is seaweed) and a
liquid humate product, like "John's Recipe." I believe you will come in at
about the same price for a few yards of compost. When I do use compost, I use
Rivitalizer Mix from the Natural Gardener. Sorry to sound like a Dromgoole
commercial, but I've used his products and they are superior to most and are
locally supporting organics.

Now, if you do want to still use Dillo Dirt, you want to do it now so it can
mellow through spring rains and I'd recommend figuring how much you will need to
put a quarter inch top dress onto the turf. Not more than that as it is
unnecessary.

Dillo Dirt jthread Lawns 0 20-11-2007 02:19 AM
Q: Dillo Dirt JKC Texas 8 31-03-2005 04:13 AM
Top dressing a lawn PJZ Gardening 7 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
Top Dressing a 30,000 SQFT Lawn Chris Lawns 5 21-06-2003 05:32 PM
Top Dressing Andrew G Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM