Old 27-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Default Tomato planting time!

Well, the tomatoes are in the ground, along with a bunch of red onions,
two kinds of basil (plus the volunteers from last year's crop) and
assorted other cooking herbs.
This year we have the following varieties: Jeff Davis, Aunt Ruby's
German Green, Marvel Striped, Mexico, Marizol Gold, and Purple Calabash
(all from heirloomtomatoesoftexas.com, Keith is at Zilker Gardenfest
today and tomorrow, in the rose garden).
Can't wait 'till June!!!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-03-2004, 04:36 PM
escapee

I have Roma, Brandywine and Sweet Million. All came through the winter in the
greenhouse, all have flowers, the cherries gave me fruit all winter. I cut them
all back and, viola!

I will plant them in the ground next week. All three are at least 3 feet tall
with flowers.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 20:10:42 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Joe Doe

In article , Victor Martinez
wrote:

Well, the tomatoes are in the ground, along with a bunch of red onions,
two kinds of basil (plus the volunteers from last year's crop) and
assorted other cooking herbs.
This year we have the following varieties: Jeff Davis, Aunt Ruby's
German Green, Marvel Striped, Mexico, Marizol Gold, and Purple Calabash
(all from heirloomtomatoesoftexas.com, Keith is at Zilker Gardenfest
today and tomorrow, in the rose garden).
Can't wait 'till June!!!

--
Victor Martinez

I had originally planned on planting only a fall tomato crop. I only
planted a Sweet 100, Lemon boy and Celebrity around March 1 and a
tomatillo. When spring hit I had massive decision regret.

Gardens had quite an impressive collection of Heirlooms and Hybrids. Some
friends went to Zilker and missed the Tomato guy. I had told them that
Gardens advertized 35+ varieties on NPR. They went and bought Costoluto
Genovese,Jaune flamee, Sungold.and a few others. I got the bug from them
and when I went the above were not available (I wanted Sungold and CG) but
got: Black Krim, Dr. Wyche, Black cherry, Snow white, Carmello,, Green
grape. They were only $1.25 for 4 inch pots. They had Mortgage Lifter,
Omars Lebanese, green Zebra etc. etc. - a very good mixture of hybrids and
heirlooms.

Last year I grew Omars Lebanese, Green Zebra, Reisentraube, Dr. Carolyn,
Arkansas traveller, Porter, Porter improved, Brandywine together with the
standards (sweet 100,s lemon boy, better boy). Porter has small ugly
fruit but great flavor and is also very heat tolerant. Porter improved
had better looking fruit but blah flavor!! Omars Lebanese had GIGANTIC
fruit. The fruit was kind of hollow. According to Souther Exposure Seed
Co. (from who I got seed) it does not do well in the south and performs
better in the north. Reisentraube, Green Zebra, Dr. Carolyn were very
good producers and had distinct pleasant flavors.

Maybe if sufficient people here are growing Heirlooms we could have a
tasting party and taste 40-50 different varieties!!!

Roland

I intend to buy about 10 more varieties as seeds for a fall crop.
Currently I am thinking of a purple tomatillo, pineapple ground cherry +?

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Victor Martinez

Joe Doe wrote:
I intend to buy about 10 more varieties as seeds for a fall crop.
Currently I am thinking of a purple tomatillo, pineapple ground cherry +?

If you can get Jeff Davis, I highly recommend it.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he