Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
GeneS

Default Roundup - buy the generic

Roundup is very expensive, but the only active ingredient that really
works. I purchased a LARGE jug of the "generic" product
at Tractor Supply yesterday for ~ $70 or so, the Roundup
brand was just ~ two times the price! Check the active
ingredient percent. All you have to do is calculate the
cost per "mixed gallon ready to use" to see the savings. Before
the generic product was available, I purchased the Roundup
"brush" product & diluted it for broadleaf & grass - saved a LOT
that way. However, the active ingredient is the SAME, so you save
~ 100% :-)

BTW, if anyone finds a cheaper place than Tractors-R-Us for the
generic stuff , please advise.

Thanks,
Gene

"Katra" wrote in message
Indeed... I've observed the same thing,
and quite frankly, the St. Augustine is FAR prettier than the Bermuda!

I made a bad judgement in planting Bermuda. I plan to rectify that this
spring by getting some St. Augustine sod from Lowe's. :-P

The Bermuda has been a serious PITA around my raised garden beds!

I may have to Round Up the lot. It's expensive Sh-- too.

K.

In article ,
"Chuck" wrote:

The invasiveness issue is interesting. I have Bermuda. My neighbor has

St.
Augustine. Her grass is creeping into my yard, but my Bermuda is not
creeping into hers. Same degree of maturity & sun too.

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
Burmuda is probably best done with seed. It will germinate quickly

and
provide nice coverage in 3-4 months if well watered to start it out. I

agree
with Roy on the advantages of Bermuda. To me, the bad part about

Bermuda
is
that it is very invasive and if you plan garden beds near the Bermuda

you
will have to wage an never ending battle to keep it out.

Have Fun

Jim

"RoyDMercer" wrote in message
Gene,

4" of top soil will be plenty for turf. Most places which sell sod

are
going to sell bermuda sod. Both Bermuda and St Augustine are warm

season
grasses which will do well in full hot sun. There are advantages

and
disadvantages to each type. Some people like the look of one or the
other.

Here is why I prefer Bermuda over St Augustine:
Lower water needs
Will tollerate traffic better
You can use the types of selective herbicides which kill "grassy"

type
weeds

Bermuda needs lots of high nitrogen fertilizer. Keep it well

fertilized
and
adequately watered and you'll have the lawn you're looking for.

"GeneS" wrote in message
We have a spot on a very high & rocky hill. There is a
plateau of about 5000SqFt. that we plan to place about 4"
of top soil & level. We will install an automatic sprinkler
system, so water is not a factor. It will get a lot of sunshine.
We want the 5000' area to end up a well manicured lawn.
There is a rock ledge about 16" under the existing rocky top soil.

QUESTIONS:
1. Which grass would be best. We are looking at St. Augustine
sod, or a heavy planting of Bermuda seed.
2. If we go with Bermuda, is there a place in the Austin area that

sells
Bermuda "sod".

THANKS:-)

Gene

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all

owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Katra

Thank you! :-)
I was actually referring to the price of bermuda grass seed, but you are
spot on with the price of week killer too. :-p I have to do my driveway
a couple of times per year.

K.

"GeneS" wrote in message
[...]

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=0&user id=k
atra

Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Ted

Zoysia is a much better grass as far as drought tolerance and it requires
less maintenance, but it may not be available in seed form

,

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:00:34 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:

Roundup is very expensive, but the only active ingredient that really
works. I purchased a LARGE jug of the "generic" product
at Tractor Supply yesterday for ~ $70 or so, the Roundup
brand was just ~ two times the price! Check the active
ingredient percent. All you have to do is calculate the
cost per "mixed gallon ready to use" to see the savings. Before
the generic product was available, I purchased the Roundup
"brush" product & diluted it for broadleaf & grass - saved a LOT
that way. However, the active ingredient is the SAME, so you save
~ 100% :-)

They don't carry any of the Generics at Home Depot or Lowes, just
the name brands. And I didn't need $70 worth of weed killer so I
settled for the $20 name-brand concentrate.

-sw

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Katra

Hmmmmmm... I'll have to look at that. :-)
I want to get sod anyway. It holds up a little better to traffic and
dogs.G

K.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
dr. dave

wrote:

Roundup is very expensive, but the only active ingredient that really
works. I purchased a LARGE jug of the "generic" product
at Tractor Supply yesterday for ~ $70 or so, the Roundup
brand was just ~ two times the price! Check the active
ingredient percent. All you have to do is calculate the
cost per "mixed gallon ready to use" to see the savings. Before
the generic product was available, I purchased the Roundup
"brush" product & diluted it for broadleaf & grass - saved a LOT
that way. However, the active ingredient is the SAME, so you save
~ 100% :-)

They don't carry any of the Generics at Home Depot or Lowes, just
the name brands. And I didn't need $70 worth of weed killer so I
settled for the $20 name-brand concentrate.

-sw

Wal-Mart has the off-brand available in smaller quantities.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:36:48 GMT, "dr. dave" wrote:

Wal-Mart has the off-brand available in smaller quantities.

Evil! EVIL!

:-)

-sw

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
ChairMan

In ,
Katra spewed forth and said:
Thank you! :-)
I was actually referring to the price of bermuda grass seed, but you
are spot on with the price of week killer too. :-p I have to do my
driveway a couple of times per year.

K.

If you are looking for a total defoliant, try Ortho Triox, nuthin' will grow
for 6 months