Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
br

Default Whats wrong with this palm ?

I've got a palm tree/plant in a pot indoors. The tips of the leaves
have been turning brown and a few leaves are starting to die off
slowly. I added some fertilizer about 2 weeks ago, but i haven't seen
any change in the plant. It gets watered about once a week. It is
placed next to a window but doesn't get much if not any direct
sunlight. I do take it outside and leave it in the sun about once a
week. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance

Here is a pic of the leaves:
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/palm.jpg
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
J Kolenovsky

Here's a good URL for Palm problems. It's been my experience that N, K,
Mg amd Mn are usually the culprits if the roots are not girdled and the
soil is organically rich.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2007.htm

br wrote:
=

I've got a palm tree/plant in a pot indoors. The tips of the leaves
have been turning brown and a few leaves are starting to die off
slowly. I added some fertilizer about 2 weeks ago, but i haven't seen
any change in the plant. It gets watered about once a week. It is
placed next to a window but doesn't get much if not any direct
sunlight. I do take it outside and leave it in the sun about once a
week. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance
=

Here is a pic of the leaves:
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/palm.jpg

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
escapee

Palms do not perform well in an indoor, dry environment. They need high
humidity indoors. They are also prone to and usually get spider mites. Tip burn
usually happens when you over water. It can also happen when you under water.
Added salt buildup from fertilization using synthetic nitrogen can also cause
tip burn, but you would know how often you fertilize. This problem does not
occur when you use Osmocote in potted plants.

On 12 Apr 2004 09:05:26 -0700, (br) opined:

Old 13-04-2004, 01:34 AM
RoyDMercer

This problem is common for an indoor plant. The indoor environment is far
from ideal (although much better than freezing outdoors in the winter!).
Dust and low humidity are your culprits and also the plant leaves will
absorb all sorts of things indoors (like cooking odors and oils). Once or
twice per year take the plant outdoors and wash it thoroughly. Take a
garden hose with a sprayer attachment and wash the leaves vigorously and
don't worry about using too much water. Give the plant a really good
cleansing shower. Cut the brown spots off with some scissors. Cut the ends
into the same shape as original for aesthetics. Leave the plant outside
during the summer if you can. Mist the leaves once or twice per week while
indoors and use a soft cloth and wipe off the damp leaves once per month.

om...