Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Brian Anderson

Default Venus fly traps in Austin?

Does anyone in Austin sell venus fly traps?

Old 19-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:00:01 -0500, Brian Anderson
wrote:

Does anyone in Austin sell venus fly traps?

I saw some at Lowes on Stassney/I35 a couple weeks ago. They
didn't look too healthy though. Maybe they got in a new batch.

-sw
Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Kathleen

I've bought them before... how the heck do you keep them alive?

--
There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for
bread.

:

Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Brian Anderson

Kathleen wrote:

I've bought them before... how the heck do you keep them alive?

I'll let you know if I succeed. Venus fly traps seem to
thrive on a knife-edge of humidity, temperature, type of soil,
and moistness of soil, and if you drift too far in any
direction, they crater pretty fast. And don't feed them
hamburger or poke them with pencils for your own amusement.

Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Brian Anderson

Steve Wertz wrote:

I saw some at Lowes on Stassney/I35 a couple weeks ago. They
didn't look too healthy though. Maybe they got in a new batch.

Thanks for the tip, Steve! I called my local north side
Lowe's, and they have them in stock for $4.97 and $9.97, which
is much better than the typical Internet price of $14.99.

I'm going to gamble that their sickly appearance is due to the
season. Venus fly traps are dormant from fall to spring, and
one of the online retailers warns that any plant bought during
that time is going to look pretty bad.

Old 19-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Kathleen

: I've bought them before... how the heck do you keep them alive?
:
: I'll let you know if I succeed. Venus fly traps seem to
: thrive on a knife-edge of humidity, temperature, type of soil,
: and moistness of soil, and if you drift too far in any
: direction, they crater pretty fast. And don't feed them
: hamburger or poke them with pencils for your own amusement.

Please do! (let me know if you succeed)
My kids loved having it, but it didn't last long. I thought it was
because I was watering with bottled instead of distilled water. Then
again, I have a lot to learn about plants and gardening.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen