Old 30-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Texensis

Default In praise of nasturtiums

What a lot of color they add for such a small investment in time.
They've even bloomed through these past two winters. They always
germinate almost 100%. They often bloom through the entire summer,
given shade. They make pretty floating bouquets, both leaves and
flowers, in shallow dishes. They're an edible, peppery-tasting garnish
or salid ingredient. They even resow themselves, although sometimes
too early so that they freeze. We now plant every variety we can find,
including the trailing or climbing varieties. Burpee has so-called
heirloom varieties some years and Gardens, at a price, often carries
exotic streaked or spotted varieties. The climbers don't twine or
fasten themselves to anything; they used sort of use their "elbows" or
right-angle bends where the flowers and leaves join the stems. We've
always let them trail, but now they're going right up some
rabbit-wire. I always wonder why we never seem to see them in anybody
else's gardens or yards. I always used to dismiss them as being
"gaudy" but now I just appreciate their color and persistence and
never-fail qualities. . . . just an appreciation, hoping to
encourage others to enjoy these also if they've never tried them

Old 30-04-2004, 06:07 PM
grubber

"Texensis" wrote in message
[...]

I usually seem to plant them too late so they get fried before they get
established, but I started a bunch from seed this year next to the pond.
They're doing great, big and bushy, spreading everywhere. I have some of
the variagated leaf varieties. Unfortunately all the flowers are yellow
instead of the usual red-orange, which I prefer.

Old 30-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Location: west midlands

Quote:
Originally posted by grubber

Old 30-04-2004, 10:02 PM
escapee

Yes, I agree. Have you seen 'Strawberry Soda' or 'Peaches and Cream?' I also
like 'Alaska' which is a variegated form. Delicious flowers and I also eat the
seed pods and leaves. Mine peter out in the summer, but return when the weather
gets cooler, about 85.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:20:54 GMT, "Texensis"
opined:

Old 30-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Texensis

"grubber" wrote in message
| "Texensis" wrote in message
| What a lot of color they add for such a small investment in time.
|snip|

| I usually seem to plant them too late so they get fried before they
get
| established, but I started a bunch from seed this year next to the
pond.
| They're doing great, big and bushy, spreading everywhere. I have
some of
| the variagated leaf varieties. Unfortunately all the flowers are
yellow
| instead of the usual red-orange, which I prefer.

With us, it's sweet peas that either freeze or get fried. This year is
an exception, and right now we have a few that have a beautiful
old-fashioned scent, somewhat like freesia, but not.