Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
downtime null

Default Little Marvel Peas dying

I planted some "Little Marvel" peas in my garden a while back. I planted them
in a raised garden. The garden box is 1 foot deep and filled with a mix of
turkey manure and loam. I don't know the ratio; I just bought the Planter's
Mix. They grew really, really well for a little while. Some of the plants
climbed as high as 2 1/2 feet in a short time. Then I noticed that the leaves
at the bottom of the plants started turning brown around the edges. This
contiued on all plants, working its way up the plant. The plants are now
almost completely dead. Several of them had even started to bear fruit. What
could have caused this. My other plants (except lettuce, but that a diffrent
story) are doing fine. Could it be that the soil was just to rich for the peas?
Too high in nitrogen or something?

Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Texensis

"downtime null" m
wrote in message ...
| I planted some "Little Marvel" peas in my garden a while back. I
planted them
| in a raised garden. The garden box is 1 foot deep and filled with a
mix of
| turkey manure and loam. I don't know the ratio; I just bought the
Planter's
| Mix. They grew really, really well for a little while. Some of the
plants
| climbed as high as 2 1/2 feet in a short time. Then I noticed that
the leaves
| at the bottom of the plants started turning brown around the edges.
This
| contiued on all plants, working its way up the plant. The plants are
now
| almost completely dead. Several of them had even started to bear
fruit. What
| could have caused this. My other plants (except lettuce, but that a
diffrent
| story) are doing fine. Could it be that the soil was just to rich
for the peas?
| Too high in nitrogen or something?

The weather got too hot for them too soon?

Old 08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
downtime null

On 2004-05-05, downtime null wrote:
I planted some "Little Marvel" peas in my garden a while back. I planted them
in a raised garden. The garden box is 1 foot deep and filled with a mix of
turkey manure and loam. I don't know the ratio; I just bought the Planter's
Mix. They grew really, really well for a little while. Some of the plants
climbed as high as 2 1/2 feet in a short time. Then I noticed that the leaves
at the bottom of the plants started turning brown around the edges. This
contiued on all plants, working its way up the plant. The plants are now
almost completely dead. Several of them had even started to bear fruit. What
could have caused this. My other plants (except lettuce, but that a diffrent
story) are doing fine. Could it be that the soil was just to rich for the
peas?
Too high in nitrogen or something?

Now some of my other vine plants seems to be exhibiting some of the same
signs that the peas did. I have pole beans, acorn squash and pumpkin that the
leaves are starting to turn brown on the edges. This browning starts with the
leaves at the very bottom and starts to work it's way up the plant.

Strangely, my onion, carrots, broccoli, collards, cabbage, lettuce and corn
appear to be fine. It seems to only be affecting vine plants.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Jim Marrs

It is too late to check now but I believe your peas were attacked by spider
mites. My experience with mites is exactly as you described.

Good Luck next time.
"downtime null" m wrote
in message ...