Old 30-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Scruffy Dog

Default ????Natchez Crepe Myrtle 1/2 price

I just bought some natchez crepe(crape) Myltes at Lowes for half price.
They are also half dead, the stems are still green. The woman there said
they will come back out. she said to mulch good with cow manure and use
some root stimulater when I water them. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Alan

Old 01-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Russell

Hard to kill a Crepe myrtle, had two pulled out by a tornato 3 yrs ago, they
are still trying to come back, just water should do it.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Gary Brady

I can't resist telling this story about the toughness of Crepe Myrtles.

My wife bought a small Crepe Myrtle and planted it in a pot on the porch.
It languished, and one fall she determined it was dead and pulled the plant
and root ball out of the pot and tossed it into the yard. The following
spring I was getting ready to mow the grass and a found the Myrtle laying in
the grass. It had one tiny green leaf, about 1/8" long. I figured it
deserved another chance, so I chopped a hole in the rocky ground and planted
it, leaving the hose to dribble on it for a few days.

It's now 12' tall.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 01-09-2004, 05:53 AM
jOhN

Gary Brady wrote:
I can't resist telling this story about the toughness of Crepe Myrtles.

My wife bought a small Crepe Myrtle and planted it in a pot on the porch.
It languished, and one fall she determined it was dead and pulled the plant
and root ball out of the pot and tossed it into the yard. The following
spring I was getting ready to mow the grass and a found the Myrtle laying in
the grass. It had one tiny green leaf, about 1/8" long. I figured it
deserved another chance, so I chopped a hole in the rocky ground and planted
it, leaving the hose to dribble on it for a few days.

It's now 12' tall.

sniff....sniff.. I bet there's not a dry eye in the house ;-)

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

"Scruffy Dog" wrote in message

I just bought some natchez crepe(crape) Myltes at Lowes for half price.
They are also half dead, the stems are still green. The woman there said
they will come back out. she said to mulch good with cow manure and use
some root stimulater when I water them. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Alan

crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 2 27-08-2003 04:32 AM
crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 0 25-08-2003 05:02 PM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
crepe myrtle kate Gardening 12 14-04-2003 01:44 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 02-01-2003 01:55 AM