Old 23-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Robert Alexander

Default Bees In A Hollow Tree...

I found a bee colony in a dead tree on my property.

Any advice on 1) how to find out if there's honey and 2) how to harvest it
and/or move the colony into conventional beehouses.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Alexander
Oakhurst

Old 24-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Gary Brady

I believe the best way to relocate the bees is to get a new queen from a
beekeeping supply outfit, put it in a box hive, locate it very near the
existing hive, and restrict entry back into the original hive by placing a
funnel or similar shaped device over the opening into the tree. This will
cause the bees to have difficulty re-entering their hive and they will then
be attracted to the hive with the new queen.

As far as the honey, climb up and look. You'll probably have to cut the
tree to get it out. Probably a good idea to pick up a book on beekeeping at
the library.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

. com...

Old 24-11-2004, 04:38 AM
Suzie-Q

-
- Any advice on 1) how to find out if there's honey and 2) how to harvest it
- and/or move the colony into conventional beehouses.
-
- Thanks in advance.
-
- Robert Alexander
- Oakhurst

I think the first thing I'd do is determine if they are
africanized ("killer") bees.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~