Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees)

How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2010 9:25 PM Judy Zappacosta spake thus:

How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Sorry I can't tell you how to suppress your bee problem; just wanted to
congratulate you on your good fortune in your little froggie world there.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to enjoy a similar accidental
ecosystem, in Arizona of all places, under a dripping hose bib that
created a tiny little pond that became home to tadpoles. Enjoy it while
it lasts!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:

(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Sure they're not wasps? They use the water to make mud for their nests.

Not absolutely sure but bees other than honeybees may do the same/similar.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 5:25*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

You will nearly always come unstuck trying to manipulate a natural
environment. Too many factors to give predictable outcomes. Leave
well alone.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 11:25*pm, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Also, drone flies (European import) look like bees. They don't sting
and have large "eyes".
And, as someone has said, wasps frequent ponds.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 12:25*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Just leave them alone. If you don't bother them they won't bother you.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Just leave them alone. *If you don't bother them they won't bother you.

It may be that the 'bees' if they indeed are actual bees may be
looking for water. So suggest place some water somewhere else
convenient to them but out of your way! Higher up on a shed roof for
example. BTW congratulations on being interested in the frogs etc.
Well done.
We had a question today on a local news group about controlling
mosquitoes/midges using some sort of laser device!
Alternatives could be wasps or bats; both of which consume
mosquitoes!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

mosquitoes!- Hide quoted text -

That's an easy one. There ar lots of fish eat mosquito larva.
BTW, I have large frog pond. Trouble is we have grass snakes that eat
the frogs and tadpoles.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote the following:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

If they are Honey bees, don't kill them. Honey bees are necessary for
almost everything you eat, or plant, and they are dying off for some reason.
Google them if you don't know the difference between them and Wasps.
Unless they are africanized honey bees, they are not aggressive unless
you disturb their nests.
If you have swarms of them, call a local beekeeper. He will remove the
nest.
Beekeepers rent out their bees for pollination of commercial farms.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:

How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog
habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito
fish swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep
"frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water
level high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two
mosquito fish to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so
much that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

are you allergic to bees/hornets/wasps?

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to
drink!)

the bees are unlikely to be any kind of
trouble to you if you don't swat at them.

just observe them as you would your
tadpoles and you may be surprised.

for many years i have grown a large
patch of cosmos and i'm out there sometimes
thinning or harvesting seeds or taking pictures
and the various bees, hornets, wasps, etc. have
never stung me more than one time and that
was because i didn't see that i had grabbed
a flower along with some seeds and that flower
had a small bumblebee on it. this is despite the
fact that more times than not i am surrounded
by bees and have them within inches of my
face or hands... of course i do not move
fast or thrash things around, but overall i am
not being super cautious either, just being
generally aware and not swatting and making
sure to not wear things that bees can
accidentally fly in and get caught. oh and i
don't usually wear anything that smells like
flowers either.

remember for most bees the sting is fatal
to the bee. they don't use it lightly. hornets
and wasps are other things (and they do
use them more willingly), but they still
generally don't hang around water to defend
it like they would their nests.

so basically, if there is no nesting going on
around that water/pond then it's pretty unlikely
you will be stung as an observer if you are not
swatting at or grabbing the bees/hornets...

songbird

Old 14-07-2010, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

Your pond is probably their only conveniant water source. Make them a
mud patch of their own away from your pond .
Old 14-07-2010, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 04:25:10 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

How can I get rid of the bees that just invaded my little frog habitat?

Let me understand. Are you a frog yourself?

For months, I've been watching the tadpoles grow, and the mosquito fish
swim in a tiny 3-foot long by 10-inch wide by ten inch deep "frog habitat".

I stuffed an old blouse and put reeds in there and kept the water level
high and frogs found it. So did the mosquitoes so I added two mosquito fish
to control the larvae.

I guess not.

Everything was fine until the bees found it. Now they buzz around so much
that I'm afraid to watch over my little tadpoles.

How can I get rid of the bees w/o killing the frogs and fish?
(What are the bees doing there anyway; it doesn't take all day to drink!)

First, unless your allergic, getting stung by a bee isn't nearly as
bad as I thought it was. I didn't get stung until I was 27, nad it
wasn't bad, and that was inside my mouth, my cheek. He flew in while
I was eating. It only hurt for about 10 minutes and not much even
then. I used to be so scared but now I let them fly around me when
thy're around and I hven't been stung again in 35 years.

For some reason this occurs to me. I haven't tried it. How about a
vacuum cleaner with a hose. Hold the hose near them and suck them in.
Rubber band a cover over the hose before turning off the vaccum. Later
take the vacuum far away and take the cover off the hose. Or suck up
something to kill them, but there is a shortage of bees these days.
Hive Disappearnace Syndrome. OTOH, maybe not where you live and it's
not like they're going to ride the rails looking for work in
California.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'mm[_1_
How about a
vacuum cleaner with a hose. Hold the hose near them and suck them in.
Rubber band a cover over the hose before turning off the vaccum. Later
take the vacuum far away and take the cover off the hose. Or suck up
something to kill them, but there is a shortage of bees these days.
Hive Disappearnace Syndrome. OTOH, maybe not where you live and it's
not like they're going to ride the rails looking for work in
California.
Wow!! You are being mean to bees!!
miele spares