Old 27-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Jim Marrs

Default Early Tomatoes

I always start my first tomatoes this time of year. I have found Early Girl,
Glacier, and Oregon Spring good choices. I tried Legend last year but was
disappointed in the production. I was looking for a larger early tomato that
most of the early types produce and hoped Legend would fit the bill. Does
anyone else have a suggestion for a good early tomato? I live in the
Southwestern part of Round Rock so my microcline averages 5-7 degrees cooler
than ambient temps in Austin proper. I can set my tomatoes outside by the
last week in March if I want to gamble a bit.

HAVE FUN

Jim

Old 27-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Victor Martinez

Speaking of tomatoes, I've heard you're supposed to plant something else
in your tomato plot every few years to let the soil recover. What do
y'all plant?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 27-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Victor Martinez

escape wrote:
I would plant a completely different family like brassica or corn. Just no
nightshades. BTW, speaking of tomatoes, how did yoos guys like those heirlooms
last year? Did you have any of the potato leaf varieties like 'Brandywine?'

We loved them! We had a couple of potato leaf varieties, can't remember
the names now.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Victor Martinez

escape wrote:
Is there going to be the usual plant fair at Zilker again this year? I would
love if you could remember which plants you had so I can try them. I have such
an awful time with the beefsteaks. I have great results with 'Roma' but nothing
else.

I'm sure the guy will be there. Let me check my archives, since I
purchased the tomatoes online, I'm sure I have the receipt in there
somewhere. Hold on.
Hmmmm... it seems the time I ordered the tomatoes coincided with the
time I had a corruption in my email archive, I can't find any trace of
that order!
Ok, from memory we had:
Purple calabash
Black from Tula