Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM
jojo

Default Time to trim that rose bush?

I had gotten advice on timing of trimming the rose bush (Valentines)
here and have a questions.

Due to the warm winter, the rose bush has started sprouting leaves.
Will It kill it if I cut it back now?

Thanks,
jojo

Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
escape wrote:

No, prune out dead wood as low to the graft as possible (if grafted) or as
close
to the ground as possible (if heirloom on own rootstock). Prune on an 45
degree
angle facing outwards so water will run off. Prune about 1/4 inch above an
outward facing bud.

If the rose flowers on old wood pruning now as far to the ground will
guarantee you get no flowers. These roses need to be pruned after they
have flowered so they have a chance to grow new wood that will bear
flowers the next year.

So you need to know if the rose you have flowers on old or new wood.

Roland
Old 17-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Carlos

And don't prune off the new wood now.

"escape" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:49:45 -0600, Joe Doe opined:

In article ,
escape wrote:

No, prune out dead wood as low to the graft as possible (if grafted) or
as
close
to the ground as possible (if heirloom on own rootstock). Prune on an
45
degree
angle facing outwards so water will run off. Prune about 1/4 inch above
an
outward facing bud.

If the rose flowers on old wood pruning now as far to the ground will
guarantee you get no flowers. These roses need to be pruned after they
have flowered so they have a chance to grow new wood that will bear
flowers the next year.

So you need to know if the rose you have flowers on old or new wood.

Roland

That's correct, but I didn't say old wood. I said to prune out dead wood.
There is a difference.

Am I too late to trim butterfly bush? arkienurse[_2_] Gardening 10 11-02-2008 12:06 AM
"Time to trim those trees?" Mike Gardening 6 24-10-2004 10:38 AM
Best time to trim oak? (now I am lost) Steve Coyle Texas 2 18-07-2003 12:02 AM
Best time to trim oak? David Texas 8 16-07-2003 05:45 AM
when is it time to trim a hedge? Dawn Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM