Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Am I too late to trim butterfly bush?

I remember reading here last year that they should be cut back around the
end of February or so. I was out today looking around my yard and my
butterfly bush, planted last year, is already putting out new leaf growth.
I don't want to do anything to damage it, but had planned to cut it back.
Am I too late? or is it still ok

Thanks

Vicky

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

YES

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

t...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"arkienurse" wrote:

I remember reading here last year that they should be cut back around the
end of February or so. I was out today looking around my yard and my
butterfly bush, planted last year, is already putting out new leaf growth.
I don't want to do anything to damage it, but had planned to cut it back.
Am I too late? or is it still ok

Thanks

Vicky

Still O.K.
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/mvv2-94.htm

It looks like you live where butterfly bushes usually go dormant and,
some times not. Apparently, you can whack these suckers right back to
the ground (I'm not recommending that) and they will bounce back.

Now get gardening.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...917874,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/31/08 7:24 PM, in article
, "arkienurse"
wrote:

I remember reading here last year that they should be cut back around the
end of February or so. I was out today looking around my yard and my
butterfly bush, planted last year, is already putting out new leaf growth.
I don't want to do anything to damage it, but had planned to cut it back.
Am I too late? or is it still ok

Thanks

Vicky

Vicky,
It would help to know where you are, but I'm in southern NH and will cut
mine back after the snow is gone in late February or early March. I'll go to
about 2 inches of "stump" (some of mine are pretty old) and most of my new
growth will come from near the larger of the stub ends.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

If the new growth is started and starches are being converted to sugars, do
you not think it is too late to severely cut a B. Bush? Cutting back to 6"
is severe. Energy is being used at this time at their location to produce
new growth. Just an uneducated thought.

On 2008-01-31 19:24:16 -0500, "arkienurse" said:

I remember reading here last year that they should be cut back around the
end of February or so. I was out today looking around my yard and my
butterfly bush, planted last year, is already putting out new leaf
growth. I don't want to do anything to damage it, but had planned to cut
it back. Am I too late? or is it still ok

Thanks

Vicky

No you're not too late. What zone are you in? In NY they recommend waiting
until March or so.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

They stated "is already putting out new leaf growth" That new growth is
coming from reserved energy. It takes energy for buds to open no matter
where you are.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 2/1/08 9:34 PM, in article
,
"symplastless" wrote:

If the new growth is started and starches are being converted to sugars,
do
you not think it is too late to severely cut a B. Bush? Cutting back to
6"
is severe. Energy is being used at this time at their location to
produce
new growth. Just an uneducated thought.

Not in February, March or April in COLDER CLIMATES.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Vicky,
It would help to know where you are, but I'm in southern NH and will cut
mine back after the snow is gone in late February or early March. I'll go
about 2 inches of "stump" (some of mine are pretty old) and most of my new
growth will come from near the larger of the stub ends.

So sorry, I am in extreme southern Arkansas. We may or may not get more ice
or snow, but if we do it will be for a day, 2 at most. In fact I have the
windows opened right now in my bedroom, as it is almost 60 outside, and is
supposed to be warm all week.

Vicky

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/mvv2-94.htm

It looks like you live where butterfly bushes usually go dormant and,
some times not. Apparently, you can whack these suckers right back to
the ground (I'm not recommending that) and they will bounce back.

Now get gardening.
--

Billy

Thanks for the site, lots of good info

Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-01-31 19:24:16 -0500, "arkienurse" said:
No you're not too late. What zone are you in? In NY they recommend
waiting until March or so.

I just looked up the USDA Hardiness zone map. I am in a county in Arkansas
that is zoned 8a, but am 2 miles from a 7b zoned county. So I am right on
the line

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sm1.html

Old 11-02-2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

They stated "is already putting out new leaf growth" That new growth is
coming from reserved energy. It takes energy for buds to open no matter
where you are.

There are no butterfly bushes putting out new growth here in New
England, where Cheryl is also located. What part of

Not in February, March or April in COLDER CLIMATES.

did you not understand?

Here we always wait til bud break and prune out the winter dead .
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM