Old 01-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Pete

Default Buffalo grass woes

I moved to Austin 9 years ago and at the advice of this group had my
back yard (about 4000 sq.ft.) sodded with 609 Buffalo grass. I
fertilize it on May 1st and Oct 1st with a ratio of 3/1/2 (15/5/10). I
put Amaze pre-emergent on it on Feb 1st and Sep 1st. Each spring I get
a bumper crop of weeds and have to hose them down with herbicide - and I
get plenty of weeds the rest of the year. The areas along the fences
and house and under my small trees have all died off since Buffalo grass
needs so much sun. On the other hand I have had no weed or disease
problems with my St. Augustine grass in the front yard. And I don't
water it very often - ranging from every 10 days in the spring/fall,
every 7 during the Summer, and every 6 for a few weeks at the peak of
Summer, so the water bill is not that bad especially compared to the
weed headaches of the Buffalo grass. (However, the St. Augustine does
need to be cut every weekend when it growing.)

I suspect the primary issue is that Buffalo grass may need very deep
soil like that found in the plains - not often the case in the Austin area.

So moving forward, what would you recommend? If replacement is the
recommendation I'd like to try something that does not need to be cut
every week during the growing season. If over seeding is recommended
I'd like something that does not have much of a different look compared
to the 609 since the two grasses would co-exist. I'd consider
completely replacing the original 609 if needed but would like to keep
the cost of the project down if that is possible.

Thanks, Pete

Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
[...]

Hi Pete,

See if these sites help with understanding what buffalograss needs.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR...S/buffalo.html
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies...armFrames.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Newt

Pete Wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/3bzjm
http://tinyurl.com/5ed3x

Newt

--
Newt

Old 04-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Andyd

I planted some dwarf buffalograss (sod) in a less used area a few
years ago, and it ended up getting hosed by bermuda grass. Completely
taken over. Suggestions from this group were to stop watering, which
I hadn't done since getting the buffalograss established, which would
supposedly hammer the bermuda, but which the buffalograss would come
back from. Even after some scrochingly hot, dry summers, the bermuda
took it over, I am convinced you just can't kill that stuff.
Buffalograss just doesn't seem to be able to stand up to weeds and
beating from what I have seen and read.

On my main lawn I have El Toro Zoysia grass. It stays very thick and
keeps the weeds at bay, although there are a couple of spots where the
bermuda has been trying to get established over the past couple of
years, gonna have to deal with that soon. I usually pull weeds in the
spring, they pop up in the winter and spring, and then very little
during the growing season. I can do my yard, 7000-8000 sq ft I think,
in a few hours, so the number of weeds is well below herbicide level,
whcih I would hesitate to use regardless.

However, it is very thick grass, and if watered a lot it will require
mowing weekly. It is a very nice grass though. If you don't water,
it goes dormant, or so it appears.

I recommend sod. I am not sure if anything you'll put down will
coexist with buffalograss. It also gets thin in the shade, but still
grows, just not as thick as in the sun. It isn't as noticeable at a
distance, but when you are walking in the shady areas you'll see it is
thinner. It has, in the past, run about $150/pallet, so it isn't
cheap.

I like the look of the zoysia much more as well. To me the St. Aug.
is less "native" looking, if that is the term I am looking for, it is
fine in many settings, especially in polished, in-town type yards,
especially shady ones where it is probably the best choice, but out of
town I don't like the look as much. The zoysia is great stuff,
thinner leaved, a different green than the St. Aug. Sends roots down
two feet, so it is very drought-resistant.

andyd

Old 04-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd

wrote:

Pete Wrote:
[...]

Hi Andy,

Here in the Mid-Atlantic states and in the north, zoysia grass goes dormant for six months of the year and is an ugly tan color. Does it do that for you as well?

Newt
__________________

Old 05-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Red

You have to use the logic tree. Do you want a green lawn in the summer with
no water? If so you don't go down the buffalo branch. When you water and
fertilize you encourage weeds and Bermuda. Do you want a grass that will go
dormant and survive the most severe drought? Don't go down the St. Augustine
branch. Do you want a lawn that feels good to the bare feet, doesn't have
chiggers, grows in the shade and sun, responds well to proper care, requires
a reasonable amount of irrigation, then go down the St. Augustine branch.
If you water it only when it needs water to survive during the hottest part
of the year, every 10-14 days, it will live but not require mowing every
week. During the spring when and if we have a bunch of rain you will have
to cut it every 4-6 days. It is the best grass for our area despite what
the nay sayers say.

k.net...

Old 07-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Andyd

Not for 6 months, but probably for 3-4 months. And yes, it is an ugly
tan, dormant/dead looking color. Mine is just starting to color up
now. I have to overseed with rye grass in the winter for my septic
drainfield.

andyd

wrote:
-

Old 07-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Andyd

Good grief, what do you mean "it is the best grass for our area
despite what the nay sayers say." What kind of statement is that?
There really is no such thing as a "best" grass for our area when
talking about landscaping, there are too many factors in the equation
to come up with a "best" grass. If you don't have shade, as I would
venture to say a lot of our area doesn't, then I'd put several other
grasses as better choices. "Feels good to the bare feet". That is an
opinion, and believe it or not some people, myself included, don't
share it. I like the feel of my thick zoysia much more than St. Aug,
and most people who visit my yard agree. And no, St. Aug. doesn't
seem to have a chigger problem, from myexperience bermuda holds that
honor, but I can personally vouch that St. Aug is a pretty good grass
for harboring fleas. And many people I know have problems with brown
spot or other issues with their St. Aug, something I haven't had with
zoysia, although perhaps I have been lucky, I don't know. So trying
to portray St. Aug, or any other grass for that matter, as "best" is
just ridiculous.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:43:31 GMT, "Red" wrote:

You have to use the logic tree. Do you want a green lawn in the summer with
no water? If so you don't go down the buffalo branch. When you water and
fertilize you encourage weeds and Bermuda. Do you want a grass that will go
dormant and survive the most severe drought? Don't go down the St. Augustine
branch. Do you want a lawn that feels good to the bare feet, doesn't have
chiggers, grows in the shade and sun, responds well to proper care, requires
a reasonable amount of irrigation, then go down the St. Augustine branch.
If you water it only when it needs water to survive during the hottest part
of the year, every 10-14 days, it will live but not require mowing every
week. During the spring when and if we have a bunch of rain you will have
to cut it every 4-6 days. It is the best grass for our area despite what
the nay sayers say.

nk.net...

Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Cindy

"Andyd" wrote in message
Good grief, what do you mean "it is the best grass for our area
despite what the nay sayers say." What kind of statement is that?
There really is no such thing as a "best" grass for our area when
talking about landscaping, there are too many factors in the equation
to come up with a "best" grass. If you don't have shade, as I would
venture to say a lot of our area doesn't, then I'd put several other
grasses as better choices. "Feels good to the bare feet". That is an
opinion, and believe it or not some people, myself included, don't
share it. I like the feel of my thick zoysia much more than St. Aug,
and most people who visit my yard agree.

I hate St. Augustine, I won't even go barefoot in the yard. If it weren't
my entire lawn, I'd be trying to kill it. Can one overseed Zoysia and have
it take over the St. Augustine??

Cindy