Old 22-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Gene

Default Where to buy shade type cloth for garden rows?

I never got around to building a deer fence for the veggie garden,
and the deer are having a field day - nothing is sacred.

The only thing that makes sense at this late date is to completely
cover the plants with something like shade cloth, which will keep
the deer out, as well as provide a little shade.

Anyone know of a place in the Austin area to buy some cheap
shade cloth, fine netting, etc.? It needs to cover a row, so something
on a roll that is 6' plus wide should work. It will be deer season
in a few months:-)

Gene

Old 22-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Gary Brady

Gene wrote:
I never got around to building a deer fence for the veggie garden,
and the deer are having a field day - nothing is sacred.

The only thing that makes sense at this late date is to completely
cover the plants with something like shade cloth, which will keep
the deer out, as well as provide a little shade.

Anyone know of a place in the Austin area to buy some cheap
shade cloth, fine netting, etc.? It needs to cover a row, so something
on a roll that is 6' plus wide should work. It will be deer season
in a few months:-)

Gene

Home Depot has shade cloth, but I'm not sure of the width. You also
might consider the soil stabilization fabric. Its weave is a bit cruder
than shade cloth, since it's not made for appearance. Again, not sure
of the width, but I think HD has it too. You can also buy this stuff
from utility construction suppliers in widths like 12', but the minimum
quantity may be prohibitive.

Gary Brady
Old 22-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Gene

THANKS, Gary.

I'll take another look at the HD & Lowe's stuff.
Possibly they have something that will conduct
220VAC as a bonus :-)

BTW - I purchased the steel shelving for the greenhouse,
looks like it will work just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Gene

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 25-06-2005, 07:27 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Gene" wrote:

I never got around to building a deer fence for the veggie garden,
and the deer are having a field day - nothing is sacred.

The only thing that makes sense at this late date is to completely
cover the plants with something like shade cloth, which will keep
the deer out, as well as provide a little shade.

Anyone know of a place in the Austin area to buy some cheap
shade cloth, fine netting, etc.? It needs to cover a row, so something
on a roll that is 6' plus wide should work. It will be deer season
in a few months:-)

Gene

Lowe's carries "deer netting".
It's made specifically for this problem.

Please post back and let us know if it works???

Cheers!
--
Om.

Source for shade canopies and shade cloth [email protected] North Carolina 0 06-05-2005 09:08 PM
Buy shade cloth? David Hare-Scott Australia 0 02-12-2004 10:41 PM
shade cloth bb Orchids 16 05-11-2003 11:12 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM