Old 03-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Jeff Walther

In article , "Lynda LeCompte"
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:46:15 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Do you have big red ants that make little trails to their mound?

Like the red harvester? I've not seen any. We have mostly what I think are
the native fire ants, around the property, but not near the veggie patch
that I can see. There was a crawfish hole in the patch - we live near a
creek - they wouldn't be the culprits would they?!? (Those ignurrunt Brits
;-)

I am not an expert on crayfish (they have many names...) on land, but I
have seen them snip the leaves off of aquatic plants very destructively.
My roommate at the time had some lovely Giant Vallisneria (about 1/2" wide
leaves, grass like) and after he put a crayfish in the tank, it was pruned
back to the crown.

So if you have a snipping problem, I suspect, but don't know, that it
could definitely be crayfish.

On the bright side, if you get a raccoon, it'll probably eat the crayfish...

--
A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.