Old 26-07-2005, 06:01 PM
[H]omer

Default Sick Conifers

The 'why' is no mystery, but I'd like to know what (if anything) I
should do next.

Been meaning to do something about this for a while.

Two identical Conifers (two tone, dark green and yellowy green) have
lost all their needles from the base, up to about 3/4 of the total hight.

They were situated in the front garden, shaded from the wind (and
light), planted in very poor soil (mainly clay and builders muck, with
about 2 inches of compost), with almost no drainage.

I dug them both up, and didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw
that (to add insult to injury) they had both been planted with the
rootballs still wrapped in plastic shopping bags!!!

They somehow survived like that for six years!!!

I've removed the offending plastic and replanted (temporarily in massive
pots) with a very well drained mix of JI, compost and Perlite.

What (other than regular watering) should I be doing to speed up their
recovery?

What's a good feed for Conifers?

Let's say that the problem was exacerbated by disease (Phytophthera) or
mite damage; what treatment or combination of treatments could I use to
make sure they perk up and recover fully ... and as quickly as possible?

Or have they had it?

TIA.

--
[H]omer

Problem with cats in your garden?
Try this: http://img169.exs.cx/img169/6382/kitten8va.jpg
Old 26-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:01:50 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

[...]

Can you be more specific about what type of conifer you have?
You say they have lost their needles?
Conifers generally will not re-grow once branches are dead and no
amount of TLC or feed will help.
Can you find out what they are or post a picture?

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-07-2005, 07:38 PM

If they are leylandii then you've had it, they will not regrow. Once
the green has gone from leylandii that area is dead. So depends on the
type of conifer..

Mike

Old 26-07-2005, 09:38 PM
[H]omer

Pam Moore wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:01:50 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

Two identical Conifers (two tone, dark green and yellowy green) have
lost all their needles from the base, up to about 3/4 of the total hight.

Can you be more specific about what type of conifer you have?
You say they have lost their needles?
Conifers generally will not re-grow once branches are dead and no
amount of TLC or feed will help.
Can you find out what they are or post a picture?

Yeah I'll venture out with the camera tomorrow ... been a bit fluey
today ... sniff.