Old 29-07-2005, 02:27 PM
JennyC

"Dave Poole" wrote

OOps - just realised that I've set my reader up to not allow postings
to show on GB - better change it back just this once
Dave Poole

How do you do that Dave?

Jenny

Old 29-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"Dave Poole" wrote

OOps - just realised that I've set my reader up to not allow postings
to show on GB - better change it back just this once
Dave Poole

How do you do that Dave?

Set your newsreader to automatically mark every sent post
"x-no-archive". Gardenbanter won't display them.

Janet.
Old 29-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Ian Cummings

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"Dave Poole" wrote

OOps - just realised that I've set my reader up to not allow postings
to show on GB - better change it back just this once
Dave Poole

How do you do that Dave?

Set your newsreader to automatically mark every sent post
"x-no-archive".

ITYM "X-No-Archive: yes"

I thought as much - seems Dave forgot to change it "just this once"

Gardenbanter won't display them.

It doesn't quite do what people expect it to though. There is nothing
laid down re. dealing with quoting of an article with the X-No-Archive:
yes header. Consequently, there are many such articles on Gardenbanter
(and all of the other Usenet archives that may not honour that header)

regards,
--
Ian Cummings
Old 29-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Ian Cummings wrote:
[...]

And also ensuring that GB readers have even less chance to see what
we offer here.

--
Mike.

Old 30-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Ian Cummings contains these words:

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

Set your newsreader to automatically mark every sent post
"x-no-archive".

ITYM "X-No-Archive: yes"

Yes :-)

I thought as much - seems Dave forgot to change it "just this once"

Gardenbanter won't display them.

It doesn't quite do what people expect it to though. There is nothing
laid down re. dealing with quoting of an article with the X-No-Archive:
yes header. Consequently, there are many such articles on Gardenbanter
(and all of the other Usenet archives that may not honour that header)

Gardenbanter used not to honour it. Then they changed policy and did
.. I haven't looked recently to see whether they still do. They don't
display any original post-headers at all so one could only tell if one
had seen the headers elsewhere.

Google's archive also had a change of policy when it wanted people to
use google-groups to read and post to usenet. Before, when it was mainly
just an archive, posts marked x-no-archive-yes never appeared there.
Currently, they appear for 7 days then expire.

It's possible gardenbanter has now adopted a similar policy, but I
haven't bothered checking.

Janet