Old 01-08-2005, 12:11 PM
JB

Default Treating grey mould

Could anyone suggest any treatments for grey mould. My normal approach
is to simply cut out the affected parts of plants but in the last two
weeks of cold damp weather I have found that my greenhouse won't open
up automatically and even with the door left open there isn't enough
ventilation to keep the grey mould down all of which means that
cutting out the affect parts of plants is a little drastic.

e.g. If I see grey mould trying to establish itself on the main stem
of a tomato plant is there any treatment I could use to selectively
treat that part before it becomes too established?

TIA

Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Emrys Davies

"JB" wrote in message
Could anyone suggest any treatments for grey mould. My normal approach
is to simply cut out the affected parts of plants but in the last two
weeks of cold damp weather I have found that my greenhouse won't open
up automatically and even with the door left open there isn't enough
ventilation to keep the grey mould down all of which means that
cutting out the affect parts of plants is a little drastic.

e.g. If I see grey mould trying to establish itself on the main stem
of a tomato plant is there any treatment I could use to selectively
treat that part before it becomes too established?

TIA

These sites http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/greymould.htm
http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publication...9002.htm#E28E3

tell you all you need to know, I think. They certainly tell you why you
have your problem, how to prevent it and how to treat it.

I am wondering whether you are also growing cucumbers in your
greenhouse, with all the extra humidity which they require.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:11:40 +0100, JB
wrote:

Could anyone suggest any treatments for grey mould. My normal approach
is to simply cut out the affected parts of plants but in the last two
weeks of cold damp weather I have found that my greenhouse won't open
up automatically and even with the door left open there isn't enough
ventilation to keep the grey mould down all of which means that
cutting out the affect parts of plants is a little drastic.

e.g. If I see grey mould trying to establish itself on the main stem
of a tomato plant is there any treatment I could use to selectively
treat that part before it becomes too established?

I had heard that a milk solution was good for grey nould, but had
never tried it. Then, at a nursery I went to recently, was a scabious
plant among some in an area labelled "Free to a good home". I took it
home, cut it fairly hard back and sprayed it with a weak milk
solution. A few weeks later it is putting out lotsof new green
shoots. Whether or not that was a result of the milk, I cannot say. I
sprayed about 3 days running.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
JB

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:42:38 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No cucumbers, Just peppers, chillies, tomatoes and a few seedlings
being brought on for autumn planting.

I normally expect the peppers to suffer a little simply because they
are prone to dropping the excess fruits which are then prone to grey
mould but with the recent damp weather I am seeing more on the
tomatoes than I would normally see. Why is easy enough to see, its
been to cold for the auto vents to open on the green house which
restricts the ventilation and combined with a damp couple of weeks has
made the greenhouse particularly susceptible.

Thanks for the links though.

Grey mould blight on our Lonicera zyjk Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:12 PM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
Grey Mould eptal United Kingdom 8 18-10-2004 11:41 AM
linocera - grey mould on leaves - help! Richard United Kingdom 3 13-07-2003 11:14 PM
linocera - grey mould on leaves - help! Richard United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 11:26 PM