Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Colin Jacobs

Default Garden Shears

Can someone advise me on the best way to sharpen shears please?
CJ

Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Colin Jacobs" contains these words:

Can someone advise me on the best way to sharpen shears please?

How handy are you?

If you feel you are up to drawfiling, with the cutting-edge upwards, put
one blade of the shears horizontally in a vice, and with a fine file
(preferably a 'first-cut' one) hold it by either end and incline it to
match the angle of the edge, draw it along the blade until the inside
edge is sharp.

The angle should be somewhere around 5° to 10° from the horizontal, the
higher side of the file towards the cutting edge.

Repeat with the other blade.

Do *NOT* try to file the faces between the blades.

The nut should be tight enough to keep the blades together when the
shears are fully open. The blades of good shears are usually slightly
bowed towards each-other.

Usually, to tighten them you use a spanner, then hammer the end of the
thread so that the nut can't loosen, though some have a locknut or a
screw-down device which holds the nut where you want it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Colin Jacobs

Thanks I am a model engineer but give me something large like this I fall to
pieces
Thanks for the tips,
CJ
k...