Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 AM
datsy

Default plant i.d.

One whole side of my garden has been taken over by a herbaceous plant,
apparantly starting off with just two clumps given by my neighbour to the
previous owners a few years ago. In fact, a lot of the gardens here have
this plant and I've seen it at the roadside as well. It's a couple of feet
tall, with spikes of bright yellow flowers, the flower spikes themselves
being about a foot long. The flowers have five petals and look like small
yellow stars. It started flowering a few weeks ago and is still going
strong, though some of the earliest ones are now starting to go a bit brown.
Any ideas?

Old 06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Kay

In article , datsy
writes
One whole side of my garden has been taken over by a herbaceous plant,
apparantly starting off with just two clumps given by my neighbour to the
previous owners a few years ago. In fact, a lot of the gardens here have
this plant and I've seen it at the roadside as well. It's a couple of feet
tall, with spikes of bright yellow flowers, the flower spikes themselves
being about a foot long. The flowers have five petals and look like small
yellow stars. It started flowering a few weeks ago and is still going
strong, though some of the earliest ones are now starting to go a bit brown.
Any ideas?

Yellow loostrife, Lysimachia punctatum? Flowers about 3/4 inch across,
with the petals joined at the bottom so that the flower falls off in one
piece.

--
Kay

Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
datsy

One whole side of my garden has been taken over by a herbaceous plant,
apparantly starting off with just two clumps given by my neighbour to the
previous owners a few years ago. In fact, a lot of the gardens here have
this plant and I've seen it at the roadside as well. It's a couple of feet
tall, with spikes of bright yellow flowers, the flower spikes themselves
being about a foot long. The flowers have five petals and look like small
yellow stars. It started flowering a few weeks ago and is still going
strong, though some of the earliest ones are now starting to go a bit
brown.
Any ideas?

Yellow loostrife, Lysimachia punctatum? Flowers about 3/4 inch across,
with the petals joined at the bottom so that the flower falls off in one
piece.

That's the one - thank you very much! I've never even heard of this one
before.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Kay

In article , datsy
writes

Yellow loostrife, Lysimachia punctatum? Flowers about 3/4 inch across,
with the petals joined at the bottom so that the flower falls off in one
piece.

That's the one - thank you very much! I've never even heard of this one
before.

It's one of the plants that was in everyone's garden in the 50s and
therefore has been deeply unfashionable for the last 30 years.

--
Kay

Old 06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
pammyT

-- "datsy" wrote in message

[...]

I wish I had some of that. I have the pink variety and love it.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Kay

In article , pammyT
writes

-- "datsy" wrote in message

[...]

Pink variety? Do you mean the one with purple leaves? Or do you mean the
pinky-purple flowered purple loosestrife, Lythrum slaicaria?

--
Kay

Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
datsy

I wish I had some of that. I have the pink variety and love it.

I could send you a clump in the autumn if somebody tells me what the best
way of sending it would be!

Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

I wish I had some of that. I have the pink variety and love it.

Beware of what you desire - you may get it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/