Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Clive in Kent

Default Wisteria transplanting

Hi all

I have a youngish wisteria (about 4 years planting) growing on the front of
my house. I have to cut it back hard every year as it really has not got a
lot to cling against (mistake to plant it there in the 1st place really!).
However I have a nice long fence in my back garden which I'm sure would be a
more suitable home for it. Any thoughts on the possibilities / desirability
of transplanting it?

Thanks all in anticipation

Clive in Kent

Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hi all

I have a youngish wisteria (about 4 years planting) growing on the front

of
my house. I have to cut it back hard every year as it really has not got a
lot to cling against (mistake to plant it there in the 1st place really!).
However I have a nice long fence in my back garden which I'm sure would be

more suitable home for it. Any thoughts on the possibilities /

desirability
of transplanting it?

Thanks all in anticipation

Clive in Kent

All depends on which way the fence faces, west or south may be ok but fences
are never as good as walls at frost protection, Wisteria flowers are frost
sensitive which is why they are grown on walls. To move it, cut back hard in
Autumn and shift it with a good root ball, should be fine, but don't expect
flowers in the short term it will be like starting over.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Clive in Kent

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Charlie,

The fence faces West so hopefully should be ok. I'll give it a go in the
Autumn

Clive in Kent

Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Sacha

On 9/8/05 10:00, in article
[...]

Only you really know how much frost your garden gets etc. Charlie is right
about wall protection, though. However, round here, Wisterias are grown
over arches and pergolas to create avenues and along the wooden rails of
bridges etc. It will all depend on just how sheltered your garden is,
really.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
Only you really know how much frost your garden gets etc. Charlie is right
about wall protection, though. However, round here, Wisterias are grown
over arches and pergolas to create avenues and along the wooden rails of
bridges etc. It will all depend on just how sheltered your garden is,
really.

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?
--
Kay

Old 09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Sacha

On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Only you really know how much frost your garden gets etc. Charlie is right
about wall protection, though. However, round here, Wisterias are grown
over arches and pergolas to create avenues and along the wooden rails of
bridges etc. It will all depend on just how sheltered your garden is,
really.

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?

I've had no experience of growing Wisteria any further north than
Devonshire, Kay. ;-) Going by what you say, it appears that the flower
buds don't get 'knocked back' by late frosts if they're not severe
('because' they're not severe?) I know that most Wisterias are frost hardy
but do recall that an old one I had on the house wall in Jersey performed
very poorly after one particularly hard (for Jersey) few days of frost. I
suppose it's possible that Jersey plants 'go soft' because of a false sense
of security!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article ,
"Kay" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

I think you're both right - ours on a south-facing white-pained wall
flowered beautifully in the seventies and eighties. In the nineties it
started to bud earlier and earlier, with the result that the buds froze
almost every single year - until this year, when it did flower
beautifully again (even though I think there was some frost once it had
budded)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?

I've had no experience of growing Wisteria any further north than
Devonshire, Kay. ;-) Going by what you say, it appears that the flower
buds don't get 'knocked back' by late frosts if they're not severe
('because' they're not severe?)

Good question! How severe are our May/June frosts compared with your
March/April ones?

I think flowering period comes into it too - our summer is later than
yours, and what I was getting at is that if late frosts are a consistent
feature, then the plant will come into growth and flower later, whereas
if you have an earlier, warmer spring and the occasional frost, then the
plant will time itself according to the warmer norm and get knocked back
by the occasional late frost.

Similarly, the wild flower season in Scotland is later and more
compressed, and flowers high up in the yorkshire dales come into flower
later than in the valleys.

I know that most Wisterias are frost hardy
but do recall that an old one I had on the house wall in Jersey performed
very poorly after one particularly hard (for Jersey) few days of frost. I
suppose it's possible that Jersey plants 'go soft' because of a false sense
of security!

That's the reverse of what I was describing above.
--
Kay

Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Sacha

On 9/8/05 17:38, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?

I've had no experience of growing Wisteria any further north than
Devonshire, Kay. ;-) Going by what you say, it appears that the flower
buds don't get 'knocked back' by late frosts if they're not severe
('because' they're not severe?)

Good question! How severe are our May/June frosts compared with your
March/April ones?

Dunno. What minus do yours get to?

[...]

Yes.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 17:38, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?

I've had no experience of growing Wisteria any further north than
Devonshire, Kay. ;-) Going by what you say, it appears that the flower
buds don't get 'knocked back' by late frosts if they're not severe
('because' they're not severe?)

Good question! How severe are our May/June frosts compared with your
March/April ones?

Dunno. What minus do yours get to?

Dunno :-)
Whiteness and limp leaves. Blackened pieris shoots. No ice on ponds.

--
Kay

Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Sacha

On 9/8/05 22:04, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 17:38, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Ours is flowering happily on a pergola in Yorkshire, in a shaded garden.
Latest frost can be up to first week of June, but the wisteria doesn't
flower till after that. Maybe it can cope better with consistent late
frosts, rather than late frosts which happen some years and not others?

I've had no experience of growing Wisteria any further north than
Devonshire, Kay. ;-) Going by what you say, it appears that the flower
buds don't get 'knocked back' by late frosts if they're not severe
('because' they're not severe?)

Good question! How severe are our May/June frosts compared with your
March/April ones?

Dunno. What minus do yours get to?

Dunno :-)
Whiteness and limp leaves. Blackened pieris shoots. No ice on ponds.

Perhaps all this explains why gardening is an art and not a science. Last
year we went down to -3. Ray tells me the worst he's known here is -10.
The Wisteria on the house wall has been here longer than Ray has (24 years)
The Jersey winter that harmed my Wisteria there went to -5 and was a two-off
in my last stint there of 21 years.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 10-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 9/8/05 12:18, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

Well our wisteria buds are evident by the end of march and it is in full
flower by first week of may and we have been known to lose flower because of
frost, although its been less of a problem since the plant became large and
established.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Transplanting wisteria John John Gardening 2 04-05-2005 01:37 PM
[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM