Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Ros Butt

Default halo blight on beans

For the first time ever, I have a nasty outbreak of halo blight on my
climbing french beans, (Blue Lake) which is now spreading to my runners. I
have never grown french beans before, so am wondering if this is a common
problem with French beans, as I have never had any problems with runners -
apart from blackfly.

Suttons are going to send me a replacement packet but seem to imply in
their post to me that their beans are unlikely to be infected due to
rigorous controls, and that the disease is more prevalent in wet weather -
which we hadn't had much of when I first noticed the problem. However,
what information I have found about this disease strongly implies that the
seeds are at fault.

Has anybody had experience of this? I need to know whether I will need to
burn the canes, or sterilise them in some way (if so, how?). I would
appreciate any help or guidance.
Many thanks
Ros
Ros