Old 11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
shorty

Default A problem plant or what ??

I've just started getting this in my greenhouse. I reckon from a batch
of bad compost.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/problem.jpg

It spreads like wildfire.

What is it ??

More importantly how do I get rid of it ??

Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Steve

"shorty" wrote in message
I've just started getting this in my greenhouse. I reckon from a batch
of bad compost.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/problem.jpg

It spreads like wildfire.

What is it ??

More importantly how do I get rid of it ??

Looks like Liverwort

Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message

"shorty" wrote in message
I've just started getting this in my greenhouse. I reckon from a batch
of bad compost.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/problem.jpg

It spreads like wildfire.

What is it ??

More importantly how do I get rid of it ??

Looks like Liverwort

Marchantia polymorpha?

Old 11-08-2005, 04:13 PM
shorty

And how do I get rid of it, on a largish scale ??
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Steve

"shorty" wrote in message
And howhttp://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-...t_control.html

HTH

Old 11-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Kay

In article , shorty
writes
I've just started getting this in my greenhouse. I reckon from a batch
of bad compost.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/problem.jpg

It spreads like wildfire.

What is it ??

More importantly how do I get rid of it ??

It's a liverwort. Looks as if you have been keeping the soil too wet.
It won't actively damage your other plants, so wait until you think it's
getting a bit too overwhelming for whatever else is in the pot then just
remove it and put a bit of fresh compost in its place.

I doubt very much the compost is to blame. The spores are everywhere,
they just need a damp environment to grow.

--
Kay

Old 11-08-2005, 05:47 PM
shorty

It sounds like vinegar (5% acetic acid) might do the trick ???

But keeping the soil dry and airy is going to be hard to achieve.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Brian

"shorty" wrote in message
I've just started getting this in my greenhouse. I reckon from a batch
of bad compost.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/problem.jpg

It spreads like wildfire.

What is it ??

More importantly how do I get rid of it ??

This liverwort should not be difficult to remove. It is a gametophyte and
thus has no roots. This particular genus tends to be reluctant to produce a
sporophyte and hence no spores. It does however asexually produce very many
gemmae in the moon shaped [thus its specific name] cups which are dispersed
by water drops.
Peel them off if you wish~~ they do no harm.
Best Wishes Brian.