Old 13-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Eleni

Default plants that slugs/snails don't like?

Are there any lists anywhere of such plants? Or does it vary? I'm just
getting a bit fed up with them demolishing certain new plants...

I garden organically btw, and use beer traps, gravel and go on snail hunts
every day.

Thanks, Eleni.

Old 13-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Kay

In article , Eleni
writes
Are there any lists anywhere of such plants? Or does it vary? I'm just
getting a bit fed up with them demolishing certain new plants...

I garden organically btw, and use beer traps, gravel and go on snail hunts
every day.

I was toying with writing such a list, but have never got round to it.

Anything seedlings are at risk, also most annuals. Calendula,
nasturtium, possibly eschscholzia are OK if planted out as about 6 inch
high plants. Sweet peas are OK once a foot or so tall (surpiringly
considering the damage wreaked on laburnum and french beans)
Sunflowers, oxe-eye daisies, shasta diasies, yarrow are particularly
targeted.

Among biennials/perennials, wallflowers and sweet william (and other
pink family, eg Lychnis) are OK if planted at a reasonable size. Also
aquilegia, foxgloves and the various non UK Digitalis species, perennial
poppies, crocosmia, centranthus ruber, valerian, geum, heuchera,
astilbe, tiarella, rogersia, dock family (bistort and its garden
relatives), marsh marigold, globe flower, geranium, pelargonium,
fuchsia, alchemilla, mallow.

Euphorbias are OK, Hellebores get heavily attacked but don't seem
affected by the damage.

Among bulbs and corms, cyclamen, large iris, lily of the valley,
snowdrops and tulips are fine, grape hyacinths, bluebells, daffodils OK,
everything else a bit dodgy.

Shrubs are generally OK. But citrus in general and also butcher's broom
get the bark stripped form the new shoots.

Honeysuckle, wisteria are OK, but clematis get bad damage to new shoots
- clematis are OK once you've got them into a high tree, but getting
them there is a problem!

In terms of edibles, wild or alpine strawberries are attached much less
than normal strawberries. Veg are a problem, except for potatoes, broad
beans and jerusalem artichokes. If you really are going to try french
and runner beans, go for climbing french, and plant out neither french
nor runners until they are about 18 inches high. Even then it's dodgy,
as the snails go for the stem and fell them in one go. Best to stick
with fruit which is generally not troubled.

I don't use pesticides, but I don't use beer traps or anything either,
so you will probably be able to grow a greater range than me.

If there's anything in particular you had in mind, ask again, and I
might know, or someone else will.

--
Kay

Old 13-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Oxymel of Squill

you'd think they'd breed a slug that only ate weeds wouldn't you? I think if
you make a list of your favourite plants, that's their favourite too

Old 13-08-2005, 10:26 PM
cineman

never had problem with lavendar from slugs. ERRRRRRRR thats all I can think
of
Oh yes Sweet Peas.
Didn't think they liked livingston daisies till I went out tonight after the
rain,
The gazanias havent been touched, nor the chrysanths yet ? Fingers crossed!
Snails are not supposed to like cocoashell as a barrier but can't confirm
this yet.
There is a slug repellant in the form of granules, but this needs replacing
after heavy rain, this is organic and not poisonous, I have posted details
previously.
regrads
Cineman

Old 14-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Sue

"Eleni" wrote
Are there any lists anywhere of such plants? Or does it vary? I'm just
getting a bit fed up with them demolishing certain new plants...

I garden organically btw, and use beer traps, gravel and go on snail
hunts every day.

Someone advised me to try spraying a little wd40 around the pot of my very
first hosta to keep slugs and snails at bay, and it seems to have worked as
the plant has remained unscathed for two seasons. I imagine it's allowable
for organic gardeners since shears and secateurs etc are oiled with it.

There's a Gardeners' Question Time suggested list :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/slug...t_plants.shtml

Also, Epimediums seem not to get eaten by anything at all in my garden
(famous last words).

--
Sue

Old 14-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Sarah Dale

Eleni wrote:
Are there any lists anywhere of such plants? Or does it vary? I'm just
getting a bit fed up with them demolishing certain new plants...

Hi Eleni,

I have found that if you plant out slightly older, hardened off plants
that are about 6 - 8" in size or larger, they either don't get attacked
by slugs, or are attacked to a lesser degree, and can ignore the damage.

In my garden they particuarly seem to love young courgette & lettuces,
also pansies.

HTH

Sarah
Old 15-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Eleni

Thanks to everyone for the information and helpful suggestions. Kay - I
think that's your list written now!

Eleni.