Old 17-08-2005, 01:19 PM
WaltA

We have an old Oz opel miner in our family, not married and no
(known) children.

Coo! I didn't know they were mined: I thought they were made in Germany.

Oh gosh ! Well spotted that man
Hangs head in shame - shuffles off to look for sack-cloth and
ashes-
:-((

Didn't take us long to get back to mines tho' !!

Old 17-08-2005, 06:49 PM
WaltA

We wrote:
Hangs head in shame - shuffles off to look for sack-cloth and
ashes-
:-((

Didn't take us long to get back to mines tho' !!

Thanks. Mine's a pint of Adnams, please.

ERROR : Your request could not be processed at this time.
Please inform your sysop of these possible causes :
(1)closed down by elfinsafety. Reason: too much ash and bits of
sackcloth in beer
(2)No Adnams on this server. Only Gnomemade* available at this time
(3)Attachments not permitted in this newsgroup
(4)No funds available
(5)*Its all mine

Old 18-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jane writes:

| I am currently growing UK-developed non-GM soya bean 'Ustie' from T&M
| via the HDRA member's trial. I have a load of 15" high plants which
| are currently covered in tiny furry pods, with beans visibly swelling.
| I had thought they'd be taller, but that might be due to being shaded
| by some climbing French beans which were given to me as being dwarf...
| oops.

The ones I grew were that size, and were not shaded. Incidentally,
I have had the same variety of French beans climb in a wet summer
that remain dwarf in a dry one.

| Apparently when they are ripe, all the leaves fall off, with the pods
| remaining on the plant for easy harvesting. I have no intention of
| letting them get that ripe - I love edamame!

I ate mine half ripe, too.

| So far I have not seen any problems with them apart from the fact they
| are pigs to get to germinate without rotting. I resorted to chitting
| on damp kitchen roll in the end, and planting up the chits. Seems to
| be working!

I have to do that with all beans :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
jane writes:

[...]
So far I have not seen any problems with them apart from the fact
they are pigs to get to germinate without rotting. I resorted to
chitting on damp kitchen roll in the end, and planting up the
chits. Seems to be working!

I have to do that with all beans :-(

That's interesting. What causes the failures? I think you said you
were on sandy soil, so is it a matter of too-variable moisture
levels?

--
Mike.

Old 18-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jane contains these words:

I am currently growing UK-developed non-GM soya bean 'Ustie' from T&M
via the HDRA member's trial. I have a load of 15" high plants which
are currently covered in tiny furry pods, with beans visibly swelling.
I had thought they'd be taller, but that might be due to being shaded
by some climbing French beans which were given to me as being dwarf...
oops.

The ones I grew a lot of years ago rose to the altitude of about twelve
inches.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| So far I have not seen any problems with them apart from the fact
| they are pigs to get to germinate without rotting. I resorted to
| chitting on damp kitchen roll in the end, and planting up the
| chits. Seems to be working!
|
| I have to do that with all beans :-(
|
| That's interesting. What causes the failures? I think you said you
| were on sandy soil, so is it a matter of too-variable moisture
| levels?

A good question. No, it's not that. I think that it is a
combination of nematodes, which damage the very young shoots,
and a fungus, which causes the actual rot. But I have no
proof. Digging up the beans shows miniature millipedes, but
I have reason to believe that they are just there because the
bean has started to rot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2005, 02:05 AM
WaltA

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:15:03 +0000 (UTC), jane wrote:
I am currently growing UK-developed non-GM soya bean 'Ustie' from T&M
via the HDRA member's trial. I have a load of 15" high plants which
are currently covered in tiny furry pods, with beans visibly swelling.

Thanks for interesting post, I'll be watching for your updates

I had thought they'd be taller, but that might be due to being shaded
by some climbing French beans which were given to me as being dwarf...
oops.

oops indeed
I prefer the climbing french to the dwarf ones, I can see the pods
easier and it is easier on my back as well ! Weeding the things seems
easier also.
We alternate between Blue Lake and Selma Zebra, with sometimes a
something else just for fun !

I love edamame!

I had never heard of it (sheltered upbringing!) so I googled,
go on, convince me, that this is the missing reason that I have never
been able to understand, why folks struggle to grow soya when we have
perfectly good other varieties of bean that do well for us !! :-)))

So far I have not seen any problems with them apart from the fact they
are pigs to get to germinate without rotting. I resorted to chitting
on damp kitchen roll in the end,

But that is not a prob. in my book, I always do that (damp kitchen
roll in ex marg containers) with my beans (and many other seeds also)
It means that I can easily keep an eye on the viability of my seed.
This years Selma Zebra, for example, is growing from seed I saved in
1995. Although it gave good germination (about 95% if I remember right
but I didn't make notes) a few of them ( a few more than I would have
liked) were a little week. So this year several plants have been
reserved for seed production.
Don't worry though, the 1995 lot is the grandfather set in the -father
-son reserves

Oh, and pre-germination means that I can pot up and then put out
exactly just enough plants without wondering "are they going to or are
they not" , "did the slugs(/mice/frost/etc) get them or did they not"
routines we go through when direct sown ! Then end up having to re-sow
a couple of weeks later when one or all of the above has happened and
thus end up being behind

Old 19-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

/snip/

So far I have not seen any problems with them apart from the fact they
are pigs to get to germinate without rotting. I resorted to chitting
on damp kitchen roll in the end,

But that is not a prob. in my book, I always do that (damp kitchen
roll in ex marg containers) with my beans (and many other seeds also)
It means that I can easily keep an eye on the viability of my seed.
This years Selma Zebra, for example, is growing from seed I saved in
1995. Although it gave good germination (about 95% if I remember right
but I didn't make notes) a few of them ( a few more than I would have
liked) were a little week. So this year several plants have been
reserved for seed production.
Don't worry though, the 1995 lot is the grandfather set in the -father
-son reserves

May I commend to the group the containers (I can't speak for the
contents) of Waitrose Yorkshire Puddings? They are about 140mm × 160mmm
inside measurements, and 90mm high.

The container is divided into equal sized top and bottom halves, hinged
together. The top half is clear, and the bottom half black plasstic.
Lovely little propagators with a small amount of ventilation added. That
makes it as deep as a seed tray, and with a cover high enough to bring
on seedlings to around 30mm.

Old 21-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jane contains these words:

I had 73 usable seed and planted 40 of them to begin with - also in
roottrainers in a heated propagator and which only got watered once;
they still rotted.
I then had 33 left to chit, fortunately, of which I got about 25 to
grow by that method, and put them in small pots. I lost a couple more
to snails in the cold frame while hardening off, but the rest seem to
be ok.

I shall be giving an interesting report to the HDRA!

My one planting of soy beans many years ago (from beans bought by the
pound...) was around 100% successful - but I never use a propagator for
legumes because they rot easily. I use a seed tray and a 50/50 mix of
sand and seed compost, and I do add a bit of fungicide to the initial
watering though, and to another when the sprouts are emerging.

Old 22-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from jane contains these words:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:00:14 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

~The message
~from (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
~
~
~ In article ,
~ jane writes:
~ |
[...]
~I'm taking part in the HDRA trial too and, like Jane, had real problems
~getting them to germinate. I started all 60+ seeds in roottrainers and
~had only about 10 germinate.
~I've not had any problems with other beans.
~
~Another time , I would know there would be problems with soya beans and
~use the chitting method, but this time I had no seed left!

I had 73 usable seed and planted 40 of them to begin with - also in
roottrainers in a heated propagator and which only got watered once;
they still rotted.
I then had 33 left to chit, fortunately, of which I got about 25 to
grow by that method, and put them in small pots. I lost a couple more
to snails in the cold frame while hardening off, but the rest seem to
be ok.

I shall be giving an interesting report to the HDRA!

I'm rather reassured that it wasn't just me but disappointed that they
aren't yet more suitable for general growing.

Janet G
Old 22-08-2005, 03:37 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from jane contains these words:

I had 73 usable seed and planted 40 of them to begin with - also in
roottrainers in a heated propagator and which only got watered once;
they still rotted.
I then had 33 left to chit, fortunately, of which I got about 25 to
grow by that method, and put them in small pots. I lost a couple more
to snails in the cold frame while hardening off, but the rest seem to
be ok.

I shall be giving an interesting report to the HDRA!

My one planting of soy beans many years ago (from beans bought by the
pound...) was around 100% successful

Interesting but obviously quite unlike this current seed. Jane and I
have both had quite extreme difficulties with it.

- but I never use a propagator for
legumes because they rot easily. I use a seed tray and a 50/50 mix of
sand and seed compost, and I do add a bit of fungicide to the initial
watering though, and to another when the sprouts are emerging.

I have never found this to be necessary and wouldn't want to use
fungicide. I normally have almost 100% success with beans in
roottrainers which is why this soy bean trial stands out as so
exceptional.

Janet G
Old 22-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from jane contains these words:

~ wrote:
~
~ ~The message
~ ~from (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
~ ~
~ ~
~ ~ In article ,
~ ~ jane writes:
~ ~ |
[...]

Once I got them going, they have been incredibly tolerant of just
about everything. It was just getting them going! And my plants are
covered in fuzzy pods so should get a decent crop. Next year I shall
buy a packet (they were only £1.49!) and grow rather more, chitting
first, and plant them closer together than the 1' spacing they are
currently. I erred rather on the cautious side.

That's encouraging. Mine are fine but I got them in rather late so they
haven't got to the pod-producing stage yet.

Perhaps they should just have germinating advice on the packet.

Janet G
Old 24-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jane contains these words:

Next year I shall
buy a packet (they were only £1.49!) and grow rather more, chitting
first, and plant them closer together than the 1' spacing they are
currently. I erred rather on the cautious side.

ISTR planting mine 4" apart in a block, like broad beans.

OK, they were just soya beans from the Weigh 'n Save, but I got a
reasonable crop, but of rather small beans. It was quite a good year
though. (Late '60s or early '70s)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM