Old 22-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Mordwid

Default new planting - golden ash advice

Hi all,

No gardening newsgroup downunder so any advice gladly appreciated.

I purchased a bare rooted Golden Ash tree about a week ago and planted - you
can see the pics he

http://www.trick.com.au/tree.htm

As this is the first tree I have ever planted I am a little worried whether
I did it right.

I dug a big hole and dropped the tree in so that the top of the root ball is
about 1 inch below the earth surface.

However when you look at the pics it seems weird that the trunk has that
branch growing off it so low down.

Should I have dropped the tree deeper in the ground so that the 'branch'
becomes the trunk????

Damn newbie questions......sorry./

I dont want to see this tree die or look spasticated !

Thanks.

Old 22-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Kay

In article , michael adams
writes

Its difficult to tell from the photograph.

Is it obvious this has always been one tree, or could it be possible
that branch has been grafted onto the trunk ?

It does look like a graft.

Some trees are grafted onto a drawf rootstock. This allows you to
have a tree with attractive foliage, or plenty of fruit, or
attractive flowers, but which won't grow 50ft tall or whatever
as it would otherwise.

In this case, it's more likely to have been done as the easiest way to
propagate a particular variety.

--
Kay

Old 22-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Spider

Mordwid wrote in message
u...
[...]

Hi Mordwid,

You have more or less got it right. It would considerably help the tree to
establish if you were to remove a wide (1m dia) circle of grass from around
the base of the tree. Keep this clear of weeds, so there is no competition
for moisture or nutrients. With the grass removed, it would be better to
remove the extra 1" of soil above the rootball, and certainly remove it from
around the bark.

Leave the lower branch in place for now; it will help to thicken up and
strengthen the trunk. You will need to judge for yourself the optimum time
to remove this limb. If you let it get too big, you will leave a larger
scar when you prune it out. A year's growth may very well be enough. Prune
it in warm, dry weather so it heals over quickly.

Your tree is grafted, so be careful not to wound the lower, stouter trunk
(the rootstock) when mowing/strimming or weeding, or you may initiate
unwanted growth from the rootstock. Remove any growth which does occur
here.

Consider whether or not you need to stake the tree. Certainly stake it if
you have high winds. Any stake should be driven in at an angle of 45
degrees *against* the wind or, to put it plainly: when the tree rocks in the
wind, it should be pushing the stake into the ground, not tugging it out.
Tie in the stake to the tree with a broad, soft strap with a buffer between
the stake and the tree. Keep an eye on the tie as the tree grows so the tie
does not bite into the bark and damage the tree.

Spider

Old 22-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Mordwid wrote:
Hi all,

No gardening newsgroup downunder so any advice gladly appreciated.

[...]

Have you had a look at this one?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/aus.gardens

It's probably accessible through a conventional newsreader, too; but
Gg is a good place to start.

I love seeing Aus questions in urg, but not many people here have
direct experience of gardening in Godzone.

--
Mike.

Old 22-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Mordwid
writes

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Mordwid

unreal.......thanks everyone.

I feel heaps more relaxed now.

spider - I am indebted to you.

I had no idea I would have to prune that branch off later on.

I have already removed grass from around the tree - the mulch you see around
the tree is sugar cane mulch.

I picked the tree up at a hardware store (yeah weird I know) so they know
nothing about anything unless I want to cut or drill it :-))

The tree had a tag identifying it as Fraxinus Excelsior 'Aurea' (Golden
Ash) - fast growing deciduous tree 6-12 m.

Old 22-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Kay

In article , Mordwid
writes
unreal.......thanks everyone.

I feel heaps more relaxed now.

spider - I am indebted to you.

I had no idea I would have to prune that branch off later on.

Check that you and spider mean the same branch.

When you said 'should I have planted lower so the branch becomes the
trunk' I took you to mean the branch which is coming out within inches
of the ground and has further branches coming off it higher up. I think
spider means the lowest of the further branches needs to be pruned.

Or it might just be me that is getting confused.

--
Kay