Old 22-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Registered User

Default bursting tomatoes

Hi all, I'm sure this is probably an eejit question and I could research the answer myself but...I'm too lazy.

This is the first time I've grown tomatoes (cherry) and they are at the ripening stage. The largest ones have split their skins just as they turn from green and I'm wondering why. Too hot in my mini greenhouse? Or just literally bursting with flavour?

Incidentally, you should have seen my face when I found out that all of the tasty-looking ripe ones from last week were, in fact, totally hollow, having been scooped out by sneaky slugs. Buggers!

Bob
Old 22-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:31:59 +0000, undergroundbob
wrote:

Hi all, I'm sure this is probably an eejit question and I could research
the answer myself but...I'm too lazy.

This is the first time I've grown tomatoes (cherry) and they are at the
ripening stage. The largest ones have split their skins just as they
turn from green and I'm wondering why. Too hot in my mini greenhouse?
Or just literally bursting with flavour?

In my experience it is caused by irregular watering, and maybe the
heat in the mini-greenhouse also. Some of mine have split, both in
pots and in open ground. I have no greenhouse.
The Sungold are without doubt my favourite, over the Gardeners'
Delight.

Pam in Bristol