Old 23-08-2005, 12:35 PM
WaltA

Default Japanese onions

I have only ever grown Japanese overwintering onions from sets.

Has anyone done a comparison, side-by-side of seeded vs. set ?

I seem to be a bit ahead of myself this year ( amazing I know !) and
have a patch of ground already prepared and am wondering if I should
sow some now and prepare another bed for the sets later.

Old 27-08-2005, 06:38 PM
WaltA

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:45:34 +0100, Christopher Norton wrote:
(WaltA):
I have only ever grown Japanese overwintering onions from sets.
Has anyone done a comparison, side-by-side of seeded vs. set ?

I seem to be a bit ahead of myself this year ( amazing I know !) and
have a patch of ground already prepared and am wondering if I should
sow some now and prepare another bed for the sets later.

I usually do autumn sets, this year I`ve decided to not bother with
Autumn sets and am going straight to "normal" seeds. All the difference
is that someone else started the onion off for you. My advice, give em
both a whirl.

Yep, I think that is good advice, especially as we seem to be in a
club of just two :-!)
However, since posting I've lost a few days due to torrential
downpours and my clay turning to quagmire ( I went a over t on it
yesterday) so it will take a few days to get back to anything like
reasonable for seed

Have you ever done them from seed in trays I wonder
(clutching at straws now lol ! )

Japanese onions Leslie United Kingdom 4 28-09-2005 12:17 AM
Japanese onions Peter Smith United Kingdom 6 04-06-2004 08:11 PM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
Japanese onions Jim United Kingdom 7 09-09-2003 12:29 AM