Old 24-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Flummoxed

Default Strange holes in lawn

How do folks

Newby here. I wonder if anyone out there can help answer my query.

Recently a couple of holes have appeared on my lawn. I have no idea
what caused them and wonder if anyone can help identify the cause from
my description.

I know they're not mole holes, because I've had plenty of those in the
past. The holes are small in diameter, somewhere round about half an
inch or 3/4 inch, and there is no sign of any earth (spoil) around the
holes. The holes go down at an angle rather than being straight down. I
poked a cyrtain wire down them to see if I could see if anything was in
them, but no luck. They appear to be about 12 to 15 inches to the end,
and curve slightly as they go down, so that they appear to be more or
less parallel to the surface of the lawn at the end (as far as I can
tell using the curtain wire "probe").

Any ideas? Could they have been dug by a small animal? And if so, why
isn't there any earth around the holes? I've never seen anything like
them before although we've lived here over 20 years.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Flummoxed

Old 24-08-2005, 02:23 PM
david taylor

Short answer-don't know.
But I've seen short tailed voles disappear into such holes-no spoil, half
inch etc. They are the commonest British mammal eat grass.
oups.com...

Old 24-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Totty

Recently a couple of holes have appeared on my lawn.
I know they're not mole holes, because I've had plenty of those in the
past. The holes are small in diameter, somewhere round about half an
inch or 3/4 inch, and there is no sign of any earth (spoil) around the
holes. The holes go down at an angle rather than being straight down. I
poked a cyrtain wire down them to see if I could see if anything was in
them, but no luck. They appear to be about 12 to 15 inches to the end,
and curve slightly as they go down, so that they appear to be more or
less parallel to the surface of the lawn at the end (as far as I can
tell using the curtain wire "probe").

Any ideas?

Large member of the beetle family whose larva lives underground?

--

Jo

Old 24-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Tim Challenger

On 24 Aug 2005 00:49:37 -0700, Flummoxed wrote:

[...]

I'd go with David and suggest voles.
We've got them all over here.

--
Tim C.
Old 25-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:09:03 +0200, martin wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:41:35 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

I'd go with David and suggest voles.
We've got them all over here.

We haven't, we have two cats.

All the neighbours - including the farms - have cats, but they generally
hunt in the fields, (and just crap in out garden :-( ).
--
Tim C.