Old 27-08-2005, 04:14 AM
seb

Default Can you identify this disease?

Hello,

My plants seem to be sick but I can't identify what the problem is.
Below are the links to see the photos of my poor sick plants :'(
Thanks in advance for your precious help !

Lupinus :
http://cjoint.com/?iztWLWWRgH

Other lupinus :
http://cjoint.com/?izt2qurLlW

Dianthus superbus :
http://cjoint.com/?izt3PL5ZmB

Mirabilis jalapa (a few difformities too) :
http://cjoint.com/?izt5ZCT20v

Thank you for your precious help !

Seb

Old 27-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "seb" contains these words:

Hello,

My plants seem to be sick but I can't identify what the problem is.
Below are the links to see the photos of my poor sick plants :'(
Thanks in advance for your precious help !

Lupinus :
http://cjoint.com/?iztWLWWRgH

Other lupinus :
http://cjoint.com/?izt2qurLlW

Dianthus superbus :
http://cjoint.com/?izt3PL5ZmB

Mirabilis jalapa (a few difformities too) :
http://cjoint.com/?izt5ZCT20v

Thank you for your precious help !

Your first lupinus does look quite sick and I'm afraid I don't know what
the problem is.

However, if they were my plants I wouldn't worry about the other three;
they seem to me to just show a fairly normal amount of insect damage.

It would be unusual to have perfect foliage this late in the season.

Sorry if this is not very helpful.

Janet G
Old 27-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Spider

Janet Galpin wrote in message
[...]

Hi Seb,

I'm afraid I'm going to be almost as vague as Janet, but I did notice seed
pods on your first lupin. If you were to remove these, the plant would feel
a little less stressed. As to the other damage, it may very well be insect
damage, as Janet says. Unfortunately, many sucking insects carry viruses
from one plant to another. I would cut out the damaged leaves, then clean
the secateurs so there is no risk of onward infection. It is often not easy
to be sure if you're seeing viral damage, because plants react to insect
attack by developing similar distorted growth, due to diverted growth
hormone. Keep an eye on those plants and be prepared to discard them (*not*
on the compost heap) if things don't improve. Never propagate from virused
plants as the offspring will carry the disease.

My only other thought is that your plants have suffered from chemical drift.
Do you live near a farm, or next to a neighbour whom you know to have
sprayed recently? If the first, there's not a lot you can do unless the
farmer is friendly. If the second, have a quiet word with your neighbour;
they may not know they are accidentally harming your plants.

Spider

Old 27-08-2005, 05:46 PM
pammyT

"Spider" wrote in message
My only other thought is that your plants have suffered from chemical

drift.
Do you live near a farm, or next to a neighbour whom you know to have
sprayed recently? If the first, there's not a lot you can do unless the
farmer is friendly.

Actually you are wrong. There are laws against spray drift and you can
report it to DEFRA and make a claim for damages against a farmer. I know, I
did.

Old 30-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Spider

pammyT fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
My only other thought is that your plants have suffered from chemical

drift.
Do you live near a farm, or next to a neighbour whom you know to have
sprayed recently? If the first, there's not a lot you can do unless the
farmer is friendly.

Actually you are wrong. There are laws against spray drift and you can
report it to DEFRA and make a claim for damages against a farmer. I know,

did.

Worth knowing. Thanks, Pam.
Spider