Old 12-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Rosie

Default Red Hot poker division

Hello,

I have about four million red hot pokers in two massive clumps.

When I divide them and re-plant them, I want to create a 'red hot poker'
border which is nice and thick, but not overcrowded. How far apart should I
plant each one? And should I plant one or two or three together, to make up
for ones that won't transplant, or are they all likely to survive the
surgery?

I know lots of you have done this so I'm hoping you'll offer advice...

Thanks!!!
ROSIE

Old 13-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:36:30 -0000, "Rosie" wrote:

Hello,

I have about four million red hot pokers in two massive clumps.

When I divide them and re-plant them, I want to create a 'red hot poker'
border which is nice and thick, but not overcrowded. How far apart should I
plant each one? And should I plant one or two or three together, to make up
for ones that won't transplant, or are they all likely to survive the
surgery?

I know lots of you have done this so I'm hoping you'll offer advice...

Thanks!!!
ROSIE

You'll be surprised how many survive, provided they've got a few
inches of thickish root on them. I'd plant then about 12 - 18 inches
apart, depending on the potential size of the plants. If the soil is
heavy or poor draining, work in plenty of grit to improve the
drainage. They don't generally like wet feet.

--
Chris

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Purple Hot Poker Delboy United Kingdom 4 14-08-2007 11:52 PM
Red hot poker variety? Des Higgins United Kingdom 4 12-08-2007 09:19 PM
Cutting back Knifophia (Red Hot Poker) huerochingon Gardening 6 08-06-2005 04:10 PM