GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cats (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10268-cats.html)

Jack 30-03-2003 02:33 AM

cats

I had some "Pee Off" plants last year. The neighbourhood cats took smug
delight in pooping right on top of them! I won't bother buying any this
year. My brother also found they didn't work. YMMV.

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

http://thompson-morgan.com
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden Lancashire

Mike 30-03-2003 02:33 AM

cats

In article , Jack
writes
I had some "Pee Off" plants last year. The neighbourhood cats took smug
delight in pooping right on top of them! I won't bother buying any this
year. My brother also found they didn't work. YMMV.

Carpet gripper along the tops of fences and under gates :-)))

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

John Griffiths 30-03-2003 02:33 AM

cats

In article , Harry Web
writes
"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

I don't know about the plants, but I'm having some luck keeping them
from defecating in the soil having buried wire mesh just below the
surface. Its the type with 20cm squares. A few have had a paw at the
soil, but having found the mesh didn't stay around. It's supposed to
be good for squirrels too. You can also use it hooped in a slightly
raised position around the top of a wall to stop them getting into the
garden that way. baiscally they can't tip-toe through it.

HTH

Jack 30-03-2003 02:33 AM

cats

Today, I've just "planted" a load of unwanted CDs, hoping they might reflect
and scare off the cats. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it works,
although I don't hold out much hope.

Anne Jackson 30-03-2003 03:44 AM

cats

The message
from John Griffiths contains these words:

I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

......unless you touch it, according to T & M's catalogue.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Johanna 30-03-2003 10:56 PM

cats

In article ,
says...
Warwick wrote:

snips......
I wish people would get themselves straight on this one.

The old wives' tale that once a woman is pregnant she must banish all
cats from her household is simply not true.

possibly .....

T.Gondii infects the vast majority of cats while they are kittens. An
adult cat has thrown out the parasite unless it it immunosuppressed in
some way (cat HIV). The risks to the mother are highest during the first
trimester.

If you say so, although the article in New Scientist some months ago did
not mention that adult cats were immune and I haven't seen that claimed
anywhere else.

No, New Scientist didn't mention it. However I attended a seminar at
work (the Vet Lab Agency) a couple of years ago where the results of a
European wide survey into causes of toxoplasmosis infection were
presented. The information about young kittens being more of a problem
than adult cats was given then. However, handling cats and gardening
were given the same risk rating - minimal. By far and away the most
significant risk factor was eating undercooked lamb. I would like to
give references etc but I don't know which journal the study would be
aimed at (I'm not an epidemiologist) and I have since left the agency.

Warwick 06-04-2003 10:56 PM

cats

In article ,
says...
In article , Harry Web
writes
"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

I don't know about the plants, but I'm having some luck keeping them
from defecating in the soil having buried wire mesh just below the
surface. Its the type with 20cm squares. A few have had a paw at the
soil, but having found the mesh didn't stay around. It's supposed to
be good for squirrels too. You can also use it hooped in a slightly
raised position around the top of a wall to stop them getting into the
garden that way. baiscally they can't tip-toe through it.

HTH

I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

We went to visit my sister on Saturday and I can iterate once again that
those "ultrasonic" cat scarers don't work. Our dog seemed a *bit*
uncomfortable up close to them, but a few cats wandered through the
garden happily.

In addition *I* can hear them. They're at the extreme end of the
frequencies I can hear, but standing in a garden with a loud high
pitched whine irritated the hell out of me.

There were two different models in use and I could hear them both. The
more expensive version was a bit higher in pitch, but a lot louder. The
cheaper ones were battery powered so that would explain the loudness
level.

I'm not *too* bothered about our's and neighbours' cats since their
scrabbling hasn't done much beyond the odd seedling and a few heathers
that they slept on to death. We have a dog who hasn't learned that the
incredible display of daffs that one boder was putting on is not to be
ignored when talking to next door's dog.

Warwick

swroot 07-04-2003 07:56 AM

cats

Warwick wrote:

[...]

um. Just to counter that, for some years we had the model sold by the
RSPB and it certainly did work -- we tested it on our own cats[1] to be
certain. The slightly deaf (many are) cat approached within c. 2m before
looking perturbed; a younger cat with (presumably) better hearing
actively avoided an area of about 4m around the thing after setting it
off. I can't remember what area it's supposed to cover, but that was
adequate for our purposes.

It's important to site the device correctly, and to move it about, but I
found it effective in preventing cats using their normal routes into the
garden.

In addition *I* can hear them. They're at the extreme end of the
frequencies I can hear, but standing in a garden with a loud high
pitched whine irritated the hell out of me.

Mine started whining -- and failing to deter cats -- during a very wet
winter after about 3 years of constant use. I assumed it was broken, but
have not bothered to replace it as the main nuisance cat has
disappeared. FWIW I used the mains adaptor rather than batteries.

regards
sarah

[1] House cats, allowed into the garden under supervision.

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley