GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cats (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10268-cats.html)

julie manns 13-03-2003 07:56 AM

cats

can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

Natalie 13-03-2003 08:08 AM

cats

"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

Julie this topic has been discussed lots on this newsgroup.

Do a google search in groups and you should find lots of postings on this
topic!

Natalie

Marc W 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"julie manns" wrote

can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares my
gardening obsession.

Jane Ransom 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

In article , julie manns
writes
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

In this group, some topics appear with monotonous regularity.
This is one of them. When a topic comes up frequently like this one,
you will find that a lot of regular posters will not bother to
discuss it 'yet again'. They will just inwardly groan and pass on to
the next topic. Consequently, any current discussion the topic is
likely to be incomplete :(
But, do not despair :)
We have a faq (frequently asked question), covering the points made
in previous discussions. Our faqs can be found by following this link
www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

Also, for the benefit of people new to this group, and to save them
from receiving replies which they may consider to be impolite, we have
a thread entitled:

'abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening'.

It is posted once a week and should appear on your newsreader.
Please read it. It will point you in the direction of:

1. our faqs (frequently asked questions)
2. our charter
3. netiquette and other bits and bobs
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Marc W 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"Gorgeous George" wrote

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a

pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares

my
gardening obsession.

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

No I do not have any cats, I once had a dog, I do have a kid and a garden. I
am just not one of 'these weirdos' that think my whole neighbourhood should
walk around my garden from ten meters distance, because otherwise they would
destroy something.

Nick Maclaren 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

In article ,
Gorgeous George writes:

| If someone stopped you in the street and asked directions to the
| nearest brothel would you point them to an FAQ? or just answer the
| bloody question!

Well I, for one, don't know of any brothels that cater to trolls,
so I can't help you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

K 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: In article , julie manns
: writes
: can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.
:
:
[...]
: --
: Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
: I won't respond to private emails that are on topic for urg
: but if you need to email me for any other reason,
: put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

Well done Jane, and thanks.

Michael Berridge 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

Gorgeous George wrote in message

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

.

She probably isn't, and many of us on this NG have cats. Cats is such a
common topic that we have had written a FAQ which answers most of the
questions you could think of asking. Being directed there, and seeing
what has been written, may well answer all the questions, if it doesn't
then people can come back and ask the questions that are unanswered. We
have had so many people trolling with questions about cats, and bizarre
methods of control the enquirers are always pointed in the FAQ direction
first, the same goes for a number of other questions.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Larry Stoter 14-03-2003 08:32 PM

cats

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Gorgeous George writes:

| If someone stopped you in the street and asked directions to the
| nearest brothel would you point them to an FAQ? or just answer the
| bloody question!

Well I, for one, don't know of any brothels that cater to trolls,
so I can't help you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

I'm sure Captain Vimes would be happy to point you in the right
direction;-)
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 14-03-2003 08:32 PM

cats

Marc W wrote:

"Gorgeous George" wrote

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a

pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares

my
gardening obsession.

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

No I do not have any cats, I once had a dog, I do have a kid and a garden. I
am just not one of 'these weirdos' that think my whole neighbourhood should
walk around my garden from ten meters distance, because otherwise they would
destroy something.

I do not want anybody or animal to walk around my garden at 10 meters
distance. However, I would prefer they do not walk, or worse, through my
garden uninvited. In the case of dogs and people, there are a number of
acceptable means of recourse. Regretably, a small proportion of cat
owners feel they are entitled to allow the animals they claim to own to
enter neighbours gardens without permission. Even worse, I seem to have
no legal or social remedy to prevent or discourage this infringement of
my property.
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

However, I would prefer they do not walk, or worse, through my
garden uninvited. In the case of dogs and people, there are a number of
acceptable means of recourse.

And if a wild squirrel walks into your garden, you complain to WNF? :-) ROF
LOL! My God they will 'love' you as a neighbour in your town, I would guess.

To start with, squirrels don't cause me any problems, or at least only
minor ones which I am happy to accept.

In addition, I can trap, shoot or otherwise dispose of a squirrel and
nobody will complain. Similarly if a dog or person comes into my garden
and defaecates in the veg, I have various legal and/or socially
acceptable means of recourse.

But a cat - no, I'm just supposed to accept it. Why? And don't tell me
cats are "different". That is their "owners" problem, not mine.

I would like either the right to treat them as vermin, like a rat or
Grey Squirrel and dispose of them humanely, or be able to call on the
local council/police to deal with the owners.

--
Larry Stoter

Earnest Trawler 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

[...]

Legally cats are an exception to the rule, (I have six of them). They belong
to me and cannot legally be harmed, but are classified as a wild animal and
therefore I cannot be held responsible in a court of law for their actions.
From my point of view that is just as well, one of my neighbours recently
decided to construct a small, shallow goldfish pond - poor goldfish never
had a chance, my cats had the lot.

Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in this
country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.

Earnest Trawler (a newbie to this group, a jobbing gardener, and heavily
biased in favour of cats)

Bart Bailey 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:29:46 +0000, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

[...]

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 05:44 PM

cats

Earnest Trawler wrote:

snips ......
Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in this
country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.

snips ...

Precisely my point.

Although, despite having no legal recourse, I think that what prevents
me acting against cats is essentially social attitudes. For example, I
don't think there is actually anything to stop me trapping cats and
taking them to a cat rescue centre 200 miles from where I live.

--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 05:44 PM

cats

Bart Bailey wrote:

snips .....
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?
--
Larry Stoter

Nick Maclaren 18-03-2003 05:56 PM

cats

In article ,
(Larry Stoter) writes:
| Bart Bailey wrote:
|
| Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
| centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
| illegal in the UK?

Unless you had strong reasons to believe that they are strays, yes,
or at least it would be a tort. It might be regarded as cruelty,
which would be a crime.

If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
that stops you from humanely killing them.

K 18-03-2003 06:44 PM

cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...
: Earnest Trawler wrote:
:
: snips ......
: Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in
this
: country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.
:
: snips ...
:
: Precisely my point.
:
: Although, despite having no legal recourse, I think that what prevents
: me acting against cats is essentially social attitudes. For example, I
: don't think there is actually anything to stop me trapping cats and
: taking them to a cat rescue centre 200 miles from where I live.
:
: --
: Larry Stoter

But would you be prepared to make a donation to the rescue centre for the
cats' upkeep or the valuable work the centre is doing for stray, abandoned
and maltreated cats? These places are usually run by charities.

Mike 18-03-2003 07:20 PM

cats

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
that stops you from humanely killing them.

and they taste like Rabbit when cooked

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate, when the airport employee
asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?"
I said, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?"
He smiled and nodded knowingly, "That's why we ask."

K 18-03-2003 08:09 PM

cats

"Mike" wrote in message
: In article , Nick Maclaren
: writes
:
:
: If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
: that stops you from humanely killing them.
:
:
: and they taste like Rabbit when cooked

How do you know?

Mike 18-03-2003 08:09 PM

cats

In article , K
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
: In article , Nick Maclaren
: writes
:
:
: If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
: that stops you from humanely killing them.
:
:
: and they taste like Rabbit when cooked

How do you know?

When Holland was occupied during the war, they used to kill the 'Roof
Rabbits' for food. How do I know? Henk a member of the IMC,
International Maritime Confederation, told us when we were in Brussels
for a Conference. He was in Holland during the war and had first hand
experience.

OK?

Mike
Who never knowingly tells lies
Does he Mabbett?

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE, THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:
No matter how hard you try, you can't baptise cats.

Bart Bailey 19-03-2003 04:44 AM

cats

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:36:37 +0000, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

Bart Bailey wrote:

snips .....
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?

I wouldn't know what's illegal in the UK,
I'm in San Diego g

Bart

Larry Stoter 19-03-2003 08:56 AM

cats

K wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...
: Earnest Trawler wrote:
:
: snips ......
[...]

Yes - and I'd pay for it to be neutered.

Although, I have checked the legal situation and it seems likely that
trapping a cat and taking it to a rescue centre would leave me open to
action by the 'owner', assuming they actually noticed it was missing.
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 19-03-2003 08:56 AM

cats

Bart Bailey wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:36:37 +0000, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

Bart Bailey wrote:

snips .....
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?

I wouldn't know what's illegal in the UK,
I'm in San Diego g

Bart

It seems that if they had an 'owner', it would be illegal in the UK.
--
Larry Stoter

Marc 19-03-2003 11:08 AM

cats

"Larry Stoter"

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?

You are a frustrated little brad if it comes to your garden aren't you?

Kay Easton 19-03-2003 07:20 PM

cats

In article , Larry
Stoter writes
K wrote:

But would you be prepared to make a donation to the rescue centre for the
cats' upkeep or the valuable work the centre is doing for stray, abandoned
and maltreated cats? These places are usually run by charities.

Yes - and I'd pay for it to be neutered.

Although, I have checked the legal situation and it seems likely that
trapping a cat and taking it to a rescue centre would leave me open to
action by the 'owner', assuming they actually noticed it was missing.

That's a strange comment. Why do you imagine a cat's owner *wouldn't*
notice it was missing?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Pete The Gardener 19-03-2003 07:56 PM

cats

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:57:17 -0000, "julie manns"
wrote:

can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

The Cat Protection League have just released their leaflet on this,
the press release is available at:
http://www.cats.org.uk/php/pr_htm.php?status=T&file=109

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Larry Stoter 19-03-2003 08:56 PM

cats

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Larry
Stoter writes
K wrote:

But would you be prepared to make a donation to the rescue centre for the
cats' upkeep or the valuable work the centre is doing for stray, abandoned
and maltreated cats? These places are usually run by charities.

Yes - and I'd pay for it to be neutered.

Although, I have checked the legal situation and it seems likely that
trapping a cat and taking it to a rescue centre would leave me open to
action by the 'owner', assuming they actually noticed it was missing.

That's a strange comment. Why do you imagine a cat's owner *wouldn't*
notice it was missing?

They certainly don't notice that it is wandering around the
neighbourhood, digging up gardens, killing birds and small mammals,
defaecating where it wants and polluting the area with toxoplasma
gondii.

My experience, having several relatives who 'own' cats is that they
don't start getting really worried until their little darlings have been
'missing' for 3-4 days.
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 19-03-2003 08:56 PM

cats

Marc wrote:

"Larry Stoter"

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?

You are a frustrated little brad if it comes to your garden aren't you?

Frustrated, indeed. "A little brad" ...... hmmm, care to translate?
--
Larry Stoter

Kay Easton 19-03-2003 09:20 PM

cats

In article , Larry
Stoter writes
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Larry
Stoter writes

Although, I have checked the legal situation and it seems likely that
trapping a cat and taking it to a rescue centre would leave me open to
action by the 'owner', assuming they actually noticed it was missing.

That's a strange comment. Why do you imagine a cat's owner *wouldn't*
notice it was missing?

They certainly don't notice that it is wandering around the
neighbourhood, digging up gardens, killing birds and small mammals,
defaecating where it wants and polluting the area with toxoplasma
gondii.

My experience, having several relatives who 'own' cats is that they
don't start getting really worried until their little darlings have been
'missing' for 3-4 days.

Ah, true - but that's not the same as not noticing it's missing.

Alan Holmes 19-03-2003 11:32 PM

cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc W wrote:

"Gorgeous George" wrote

[...]

There are painless and harmless ways to deal with this problem, all
you have to do is to ask politely!

I have a solution, but I'll only tell you if you ask nicely and make sure
you say 'please'!

Alan

Little Badger 22-03-2003 11:30 AM

cats

Larry
I'm a very keen gardener and have been gardening since I was 11 years old! I
also own a cat that I love very much!

I am also a volunteer for my local PDSA charity shop!

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

My cat is with me always ( he's at my feet now)!
Why do people like you hate cats so much? Can't you put up with another
animal (as free as a cat) entering your domain or is all you and yourself
what you think about all the time?

Kev

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Larry
Stoter writes

Jack 22-03-2003 11:30 AM

cats

My neighbours' cats do their business all over my garden where my two
children are trying to grow their flowers and vegetables. My children are
horrified when they put their fingers into cat poop. It's not a pleasant
experience, it's a health risk, and they don't want to eat anything that the
cats have pooped on. I've just filled 2 plastic grocery bags full to the
top with cat poop, and my garden is not large.

"Little Badger" wrote...

Mike 22-03-2003 11:30 AM

cats

In article , Little
Badger writes

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give a
toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard'

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Little Badger 22-03-2003 11:31 AM

cats

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

No! See post to George's ramblings! I would notice my cat was missing when I
got home from work as he's usually in my house or in my greenhouse!

Badger

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Little
Badger writes

------

Little Badger 22-03-2003 11:31 AM

cats

My cat sleeps on the bottom of my bed all night and is locked in!

My cat has a sand pit in my garden where he goes to the toilet!

My cat is tagged and neutered (got him from a rescue centre)!

He has a red leather collar with a bell on!

When I am at work he spends most of the time either in my warm greenhouse or
in my house which he enters through one of my numerous cat flaps and these
places is where I usually find him when I come home from work, shopping,
washing the car etc!

So am I a responsible cat owner George?
Maybe you should gather more facts before spouting off?

Badger

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:53:55 +0000, Mike
wrote:

In article , Little
Badger writes

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work?

Sadly that would be an accurate picture of the majority of
irresponsible cat owners, and then again left out all night.

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give a
toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard'

This would be an accurate description once again of the irresponsible
owner, who are by far the majority.

If I were made Herr Chancellor, or should I say when!

I would ensure all cats had to be tagged (all pets) and the tagging
kept up to date. Must have collars with a bell and also to be
neutered, we will always have enough strays to provide kittens for all
should anyone wish to adopt a cat. People like smelly five cats would
need to be licensed and pay a large premium for having more then one
mass murdered in the household.

Cats caught poooping on someone elses land should be liable (owners)
for fines and cleaning fees.

This will force responsible ownership, and many people who do not
think about the consequences of their pets would now find they really
must, and probably many would say "Oh I wont have a pet then"

Bit like the old days of letting your dog crap and wee anywhere it
wanted, usually in the kiddies park. These are now long gone, there
was a hoohah about forcing people to poop scoop after their dogs, but
now in my experience the majority do it without fuss, which is how it
should be.

Have a pet, fine, but also take full responsibility for it.

.

*********
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will

still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

Larry Stoter 22-03-2003 02:44 PM

cats

Little Badger wrote:

Larry
I'm a very keen gardener and have been gardening since I was 11 years old! I
also own a cat that I love very much!

I am also a volunteer for my local PDSA charity shop!

I would notice that my cat was missing within hours of coming home from
work!

My cat is with me always ( he's at my feet now)!
Why do people like you hate cats so much? Can't you put up with another
animal (as free as a cat) entering your domain or is all you and yourself
what you think about all the time?

I don't hate cats - quite like them, in fact.

I do dislike cat 'owners' who can't be bothered to control their animals
and who believe their pet has a right to wander around the
neighbourhood. My objections to cats in my garden a

1. It is my garden and I haven't given permission for a cat to enter.
Why should I, as I don't want it? Unfortunately, because of a
peculiarity of UK law, I don't have any legal means of removing a cat
owned by a neighbour. If a dog, rat or person uses my garden as a
toilet, I have various options open to me to resolve the problem.

2. I delight in having many free animals coming into my garden and
actively encourage them. These are true, wild animals - insects,
amphibians, birds, small mammals, etc. Many local cats attempt to kill
them - cats which are not truly wild but are provided with food and
shelter. In doing so, their owners are giving these efficient predators
a huge competitive advantage against truly free and wild animals.

3. Cats defaecate and urinate in my vegatables, which I find unpleasant
and a potential health risk.

4. Cats dig up seeds and seedlings.

5. Cats are a reservoir of toxoplasma gondii - this parasitic worm is
known to cause miscarriages in humans. There is also evidence that it
can lead to more subtle neurological problems in humans. Certainly, it
changes the behaviour of small mammals in such a way as to make them
much easier for cats to catch. If it does this to mice, it would not be
surprising that it also affected human behaviour. I believe there is a
government committee currently examining this issue.

What I would like to see is:

a) A legal requirement on cat owners to control their animals, as is the
case with other domestic animals and pets, such as dogs. This to include
fines for those who don't and the ability for neighbours to take civil
action against cat owners.

b) For me to be able to trap any cat (not just strays) which enters my
property and hand it over to an appropriate organisation. The animal
should, of course, be legally protected against ill treatment.

c) A legal requirement for all dogs and cats to be neutered unless they
are owned specifically for breeding purposes. In which case, owners to
be licensed to keep intact animals, subject to inspection and fined if
their animals are allowed to stray from their property.

And thank you to those cat owners who do take proper responsability for
their pets.
--
Larry Stoter

Charlie 22-03-2003 02:56 PM

cats

I've been following this thread for a while and I have a question. How do
you expect owners to "control" cats? This is by no means meant to be an
argument, but simply a question.

My cat is 14 years old but still climbs my trees and catches birds. (which
I have no objection, we have loads nesting round our house and garden and it
only serves to keep this population down). He goes into other gardens, but
we've had no complains, most of them feed him anyway! He attacks any cats
that attempts to come into our garden (they learn pretty quickly) and he
doesn't cause hassle to anyone. Am I a responsible owner?

Sorry, just wondered how to control my cat more efficiently!

Charlie.

Little Badger wrote:

[...]

---

mandy thomas 22-03-2003 02:56 PM

cats

Little Badger wrote:

[...]

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

I don't have a cat, and I don't like them leaving a mess in my garden but I
just accept them as one of those fairly minor inconveniences that I can't do
anything about.

As long as it's legal to own cats, and to allow them outside, then there's
not a whole lot you can do about it. Best not to get too het up about things
you can't change.

Little Badger 22-03-2003 02:56 PM

cats

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:23:26 -0000, "Little Badger"
wrote:

My cat sleeps on the bottom of my bed all night and is locked in!

My cat has a sand pit in my garden where he goes to the toilet!

My cat is tagged and neutered (got him from a rescue centre)!

He has a red leather collar with a bell on!

Going good so far.

When I am at work he spends most of the time either in my warm greenhouse

or
in my house which he enters through one of my numerous cat flaps and

these
places is where I usually find him when I come home from work, shopping,
washing the car etc!

So he can come and go at will, destroy wildlife at will and shit on
peoples gardens at will. Are you really so naive as to believe your
cat does none of the abive when you are not there? (abive? Is that a

spelling mistake?)

Um! Already said he has a sand pit to go to the toilet in! He goes first
thing in the morning and I have not seen him do it again unless he is sick!
If he is sick he goes in his sand pit again! Are you reading my post or are
you purposely skipping certain parts of it?

So am I a responsible cat owner George?

Far better then most.

Maybe you should gather more facts before spouting off?

Maybe you should try reading what you respond to first. Tell me which
part, tell us all which part of my post is incorrect. (OK!)

I take it that your cat is out and about and more than likely in other
people's gardens whilst you are at work? (Too busy either sleeping or

keeping cats out of his own garden actually!)

Sadly that would be an accurate picture of the majority of
irresponsible cat owners, and then again left out all night. (See above

which makes you incorrect again!)

THAT is why people hate cats. Those who claim to 'own' them don't give

toss where they crap as long as it is not 'in their back yard' (If I

did not give a toss where he goes to the toilet I wouldn't have made him a
sand pit!)

All of the above is incorrect! Happy now that I have pointed it out to you?
Going to do some gardening now! You want to get out more George!

Badger

Is that a spelling mistake?

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:53:55 +0000, Mike
wrote:

In article , Little
Badger writes

Little Badger 22-03-2003 02:56 PM

cats

Larry
How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it or
distressing it in any way?

Badger