GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cats (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10268-cats.html)

julie manns 13-03-2003 07:56 AM

cats

can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

Natalie 13-03-2003 08:08 AM

cats

"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

Julie this topic has been discussed lots on this newsgroup.

Do a google search in groups and you should find lots of postings on this
topic!

Natalie

Marc W 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"julie manns" wrote

can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares my
gardening obsession.

Jane Ransom 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

In article , julie manns
writes
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

In this group, some topics appear with monotonous regularity.
This is one of them. When a topic comes up frequently like this one,
you will find that a lot of regular posters will not bother to
discuss it 'yet again'. They will just inwardly groan and pass on to
the next topic. Consequently, any current discussion the topic is
likely to be incomplete :(
But, do not despair :)
We have a faq (frequently asked question), covering the points made
in previous discussions. Our faqs can be found by following this link
www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

Also, for the benefit of people new to this group, and to save them
from receiving replies which they may consider to be impolite, we have
a thread entitled:

'abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening'.

It is posted once a week and should appear on your newsreader.
Please read it. It will point you in the direction of:

1. our faqs (frequently asked questions)
2. our charter
3. netiquette and other bits and bobs
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Marc W 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"Gorgeous George" wrote

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a

pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares

my
gardening obsession.

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

No I do not have any cats, I once had a dog, I do have a kid and a garden. I
am just not one of 'these weirdos' that think my whole neighbourhood should
walk around my garden from ten meters distance, because otherwise they would
destroy something.

Nick Maclaren 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

In article ,
Gorgeous George writes:

| If someone stopped you in the street and asked directions to the
| nearest brothel would you point them to an FAQ? or just answer the
| bloody question!

Well I, for one, don't know of any brothels that cater to trolls,
so I can't help you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

K 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: In article , julie manns
: writes
: can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.
:
:
[...]
: --
: Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
: I won't respond to private emails that are on topic for urg
: but if you need to email me for any other reason,
: put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

Well done Jane, and thanks.

Michael Berridge 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

cats

Gorgeous George wrote in message

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

.

She probably isn't, and many of us on this NG have cats. Cats is such a
common topic that we have had written a FAQ which answers most of the
questions you could think of asking. Being directed there, and seeing
what has been written, may well answer all the questions, if it doesn't
then people can come back and ask the questions that are unanswered. We
have had so many people trolling with questions about cats, and bizarre
methods of control the enquirers are always pointed in the FAQ direction
first, the same goes for a number of other questions.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Larry Stoter 14-03-2003 08:32 PM

cats

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Gorgeous George writes:

| If someone stopped you in the street and asked directions to the
| nearest brothel would you point them to an FAQ? or just answer the
| bloody question!

Well I, for one, don't know of any brothels that cater to trolls,
so I can't help you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

I'm sure Captain Vimes would be happy to point you in the right
direction;-)
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 14-03-2003 08:32 PM

cats

Marc W wrote:

"Gorgeous George" wrote

You cannot! Cats will be cats, dogs will be dogs, kids will be kids. Not
everybody is in to gardening. I just accept it then from time to time a

pet
will demolish something in the garden, a football will demolish some
flowers. I don't live alone in my neighbourhood and not everybody shares

my
gardening obsession.

Are you one of these weirdos who feels so unloved they need to have
five cats or more?

No I do not have any cats, I once had a dog, I do have a kid and a garden. I
am just not one of 'these weirdos' that think my whole neighbourhood should
walk around my garden from ten meters distance, because otherwise they would
destroy something.

I do not want anybody or animal to walk around my garden at 10 meters
distance. However, I would prefer they do not walk, or worse, through my
garden uninvited. In the case of dogs and people, there are a number of
acceptable means of recourse. Regretably, a small proportion of cat
owners feel they are entitled to allow the animals they claim to own to
enter neighbours gardens without permission. Even worse, I seem to have
no legal or social remedy to prevent or discourage this infringement of
my property.
--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

However, I would prefer they do not walk, or worse, through my
garden uninvited. In the case of dogs and people, there are a number of
acceptable means of recourse.

And if a wild squirrel walks into your garden, you complain to WNF? :-) ROF
LOL! My God they will 'love' you as a neighbour in your town, I would guess.

To start with, squirrels don't cause me any problems, or at least only
minor ones which I am happy to accept.

In addition, I can trap, shoot or otherwise dispose of a squirrel and
nobody will complain. Similarly if a dog or person comes into my garden
and defaecates in the veg, I have various legal and/or socially
acceptable means of recourse.

But a cat - no, I'm just supposed to accept it. Why? And don't tell me
cats are "different". That is their "owners" problem, not mine.

I would like either the right to treat them as vermin, like a rat or
Grey Squirrel and dispose of them humanely, or be able to call on the
local council/police to deal with the owners.

--
Larry Stoter

Earnest Trawler 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

[...]

Legally cats are an exception to the rule, (I have six of them). They belong
to me and cannot legally be harmed, but are classified as a wild animal and
therefore I cannot be held responsible in a court of law for their actions.
From my point of view that is just as well, one of my neighbours recently
decided to construct a small, shallow goldfish pond - poor goldfish never
had a chance, my cats had the lot.

Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in this
country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.

Earnest Trawler (a newbie to this group, a jobbing gardener, and heavily
biased in favour of cats)

Bart Bailey 18-03-2003 08:44 AM

cats

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:29:46 +0000, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

[...]

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 05:44 PM

cats

Earnest Trawler wrote:

snips ......
Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in this
country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.

snips ...

Precisely my point.

Although, despite having no legal recourse, I think that what prevents
me acting against cats is essentially social attitudes. For example, I
don't think there is actually anything to stop me trapping cats and
taking them to a cat rescue centre 200 miles from where I live.

--
Larry Stoter

Larry Stoter 18-03-2003 05:44 PM

cats

Bart Bailey wrote:

snips .....
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/cat_solutions.htm

Bart

Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
illegal in the UK?
--
Larry Stoter