Old 02-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Amber

Default whose the moderator?

Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

Old 02-09-2005, 12:29 AM
roddy

There isn't an effective one and there can't be as the group is open.
Time to get out the baseball bat if anyone knows who the idiot poster is.
The problem is that they could bring this newsgroup to it's knees.
Roddy

oups.com...

Old 02-09-2005, 07:02 AM
David Rance

"Amber" wrote

Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 roddy wrote:

There isn't an effective one

There isn't one! Full stop!

and there can't be as the group is open.

Precisely.

Time to get out the baseball bat if anyone knows who the idiot poster is.
The problem is that they could bring this newsgroup to it's knees.

That's a little dramatic. The last time this happened was at the
beginning of the school holidays. This is at the end of the school
holidays and so it will soon calm down.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
chris French

In message .com,
Amber writes
Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

As others have said, this is a non-moderated newsgroup.

1. They'll go away again after a while.

2. I've not really seen any of this, I assume my news service (ISP, out
sourced to Supernews) is filtering them out. ISTR new.individual.net did
the same.

3. If it really bothers you, you could change new server.
--
Chris French

Old 02-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Alan Holmes

"David Rance" wrote in message
"Amber" wrote

Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 roddy wrote:

There isn't an effective one

There isn't one! Full stop!

and there can't be as the group is open.

Precisely.

Time to get out the baseball bat if anyone knows who the idiot poster is.
The problem is that they could bring this newsgroup to it's knees.

That's a little dramatic. The last time this happened was at the beginning
of the school holidays. This is at the end of the school holidays and so
it will soon calm down.

I hadn't thought of that!

We will just have to wait and see.

Alan

David

Old 02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Amber

not really bothering me, just as its the second time it had happened it
might be the same person and so was going to try and see who and
complain. To directly complain to an ISP most want useful info.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:48 PM
roddy

Well I have seen it happen to other groups; the serious posters move on and
leave the shell to the spammers et al; it does get tiresome.
Still there is always the closed newsgroup route.
Roddy
"David Rance" wrote in message
"Amber" wrote

Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 roddy wrote:

There isn't an effective one

There isn't one! Full stop!

Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "roddy" contains these words:

Well I have seen it happen to other groups; the serious posters move on and
leave the shell to the spammers et al; it does get tiresome.
Still there is always the closed newsgroup route.
Roddy

That isn't going to happen here, one of usenet's longest-established
groups with many longterm regular posters.

BTW, "serious posters" here don't top post, either.

Janet
Old 02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "roddy" contains these words:

Well I have seen it happen to other groups; the serious posters move on and
leave the shell to the spammers et al; it does get tiresome.
Still there is always the closed newsgroup route.

No, we middle-post :-)

That isn't going to happen here, one of usenet's longest-established
groups with many longterm regular posters.

BTW, "serious posters" here don't top post, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:45 AM
JennyC

"Amber" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

My friend Mark does stirling work in this area :~)
Jenny

Old 03-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Mike

Heaven forbid !!

Old 03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Phil L

Amber wrote:
:: Do we have a moderator for this group or anyone who can get IP
:: addresses or more info about our serial trolls/spammers?

The group doesn't need a moderator, users can moderate it rthemselves if
they are prepared to be ruthless with their killfiles.

Go through the group and open each post in turn, if it's multi posted to
several groups it's a cross-posting troll and that person should be added to
the killfile, by going to 'message'block sender' OE will then block any
further posts from this person and remove any already here, do this for ten
minutes on each successive cross-poster and the group returns to normality,
moreover, you won't see the next round of X-posted garbage.
It's true that sone regular 'genuine' posters may end up in the killfile but
if they want to join in with the X-posting flamewars then they are as bad as
the trolls themselves and deserve to stay there.

(there is no limit to the amount of trolls you can killfile, mine has almost
300 entries)

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:05 AM
roddy

I'd rather snip than bottom post.
Too much stuff to go through same as middle posting.
Roddy

-------------snip-------------------------

Old 04-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike Lyle

roddy wrote:
I'd rather snip than bottom post.
Too much stuff to go through same as middle posting.
Roddy

-------------snip-------------------------

Depends what you want to say. If you have a comment on something in
the thread, then it's usually easier to understand if you leave a bit
of the original. Your example above stands the test because it's
self-contained. The thing about top-posting is that it's generally a
sign that the poster doesn't _care_ what anybody else has said: it's
rather like those disconcerting people you meet occasionally who, in
a conversation about rural bus services, suddenly throw in a
heartfelt remark about coastal erosion.

--
Mike.

Pea sprouts lying on ground - whose to blame? Davy[_3_] United Kingdom 9 20-05-2011 03:22 PM
Moderator announce: Moderator changes; valid email addresses Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 1 06-09-2007 05:34 AM
Raving goes a roving ... Final Call for new Moderator volunteers Raving Ponds 0 18-12-2006 03:09 AM
Whose Art? Iris Cohen Plant Science 1 16-12-2003 06:02 PM
Whose Boundary is whose :-(( Mike United Kingdom 3 29-09-2002 11:24 PM